AMD Flooding the Market With Durons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Flooding the Market With Durons?

I was just told AMD is attempting to flood the (OEM) market with Durons to avoid the hurt that the P4 Celerons could possibly bring about...Let's hope this is has a good effect on the retail pricing of Durons and Athlons...

errr celereys hurting Durons n Athlons........errr i dont think so.....

Comment

It's called marketing my friend...You tell someone they can get a 1.6 up to 2.0GHz Processor with a WHOPPING 400MHz Front Side Bus compared to a 1.3 or 1600+ Processor with only a 200Mhz of 266MHz Front Side Bus at comparable pricing, they aren't going to know actual performance is different than megahertz...They don't know everything we do...

Comment

yeah also trying to get people to buy the duron now instead of buying a celeron later.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepps
          errr celereys hurting Durons n Athlons........errr i dont think so.....
          P4 Celeron's he's talking about

based on Northwood Core with less cache, 400Mhz System bus and possably SMT

That will hurt a Duron

Looks like AMD might have to up teh cache to 128K L2, bump the FSB up and move to 166DDR FSB for Athlon XP Tbread core

Comment

No, P4 Celerons will be based on the Willamette core (hence, Willamette128)

If you can recall the debate between the P3 Coppermine and the Celeron Coppermine128, you might say that it's happening again...

Comment

Originally posted by mistert
              ...They don't know everything we do...
              They also might not know that an influx in quantity of a product available is going to change pricing, AMD could possibly hold prices up for a short time, to gain that extra buck, and still have a huge unload of durons on the market to chip away at future P4 Celery PC's. If you just bought something that everyone else just bought at the normal price, why buy again?

Comment

ahh, i didn't know there were such things as P4 celerons, me being an AMD fan lol.

Comment

BAD AMD FAN!

You have to know as a follower of the AMD, so that we can understand what not to accept from the infidels. We as AMD'ers would say "Kill the P4", and "Kill the celery", but never "kill the P4 celery" - so they will always a weapon against us and those with which we protect. If we cannot warn the masses, they will fall victum because of their own stupidity.

Comment

lol, erm yer........:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Shepps
                      lol, erm yer........:rolleyes:
                      ME?????..... NO!
                      :geek: :geek: :geek:

Comment

reply: amd is doing away with the duron processors so the t-bird is going to be the low end of amd's ladder now.the t-bird will leave the celeron in a trail of dust out the tailpipe of the cpu.celerons days are numbered i believe.with the xp chips not but twenty dollars more here in the states i don't think there is any room for the lower end like they used to be.which would you choose a t-bird for 99 dollars and you have to have a pretty good size cpu fan or a xp chip that runs fine with the boxed processor fan .i run the 1600 xp at 1.51ghz on a stock fan and it screams.intels 1.6 northwood is the better deal of all there processors they can be had for 145 dollars and with a 20 dollar custom fan we are fetting almost 2 ghz out of the 1.6 not bad results so where does that leave the celeron's?the dells,gateways,hp's compaq's will use the celerons but i don't think many custom builders are going to choose the budget processors things have changed from the days when you could buy a 300 celeron and get 550-600 out of it.the celeron's of today don't overclock as well at least i haven't had the luck i used to and the Xp cpu's can be unlocked and ran a lot faster .i don't think they will last as long as unclocked one's but as fast as the hardware is advancing i change spu's at least once a year and i don't see the industry slowing down at all as far as developement of faster speed is concerned.

Comment

umm.. you might wanna check your facts there...

Thunderbirds are extinct. They stopped production late last year. They are almost impossible to get now.. Durons are AMD's budget CPU now...

Comment

For now. AMD is gonna can the Duron line and offer cheaper Athlons as I understand.

Yeah, the T-bird is not in production anymore, like Beefy said. The XP's are the Athlon right now. Like, duh:geek:

Comment

You will not see the end of the "Duron" line (whether DuronXP or Duron64 or whatever they could call it) for a long time. It's AMD's bargain line. Whether its a Barton or a Spitfire core, it's gonna be a Duron to the public. Things may change in Hammer-land, but thats not til the end of the year or later.

Comment

Working...
                              X