Amd K6-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd K6-2

Im planning on buying the following processor from newegg to rebuild an old 266 that my parents no longer use:

Am I going to need to get a heatsink for this processor as well? Im not sure if the PC has one on the processor already, as it is in a different state.

Thanks.

Re: Amd K6-2

Yes you will need one, something like this but I hope that mainboard can support that CPU (any socket A or Socket 370 HSF will do though be sure not to get one that exceeds 60mm x 60mm footprint).

Comment

That ought to be perfect, though you may want some thermal compound to go with it, assuming you odn't have any...

But whether or not the motherboard will run a K6-2 properly/at all is something to consider. Then again, it's only $14 even if it doesn't...

Comment

eh, the processor that is currently in there is a K6-2, so Id assume it would support it...but yea, $14 is no big loss if it doesnt...

Comment

Wow, a K6-2 500 is going for 14 bucks, I have one sitting in a box doing nothing....too bad

Comment

You most likely will not get it to run at 500megs, as the mobo will be fairly old. IF you can actually get it to run at above 300megs, be aware that you need a software patch off the AMD site if you are running win95 (which may be possible as most 266's were either 95 or 98 (not 98se). What happens is that the machine stalls with a message at the top of the screen saying words to the effect of 'machine stopped due to ....'
            If you try to use XP, it will creep along very slowly, and Win98 or 98se will need at least 256Mb of ram to shift at a reasonable speed. 64Mb is enough for '95 to go at a good rate.
            Hope this helps
            OLdphart

Comment

Yea, I was planning on either reinstalling win95, or trying 98 on it

Just pretty much a project machine, maybe usefull for browsing and some older games when paired with my voodoo3

Comment

I have had a k6-2 500 sitting around for years and could never find a decent super socket7 mobo to use it with.
                athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                asus a7n8xe-dlx
                thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                bfg 6800gt
                seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                samsung dvdrw
                2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                seagate sataII 500gb
                evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                samsung sata dvd-rw
                2x1024 ocz black
                logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

The k-6 500 I have is in an Epox with a SIS 540 Chipset. I have no Idea if it is decent or not, but with the other systems in my house, I have no reason to do anything with the board or the 500. I bet it would make a good pc for someone just getting familiar to PC's.
                  Otherwise, I can't think of what to do with it...

Comment

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_3559_689^3474,00.html
                    Is the patch you need if you use 95.
                    OLdphart

Comment

Working...
                    X