Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz

Hi all.

Well its been a long time since I have posted in the forums and well I thought I would get back Into the habbit, and with what I am going to show you I think alot of you Intel fans out there will like this.

I can't remember where I saw it myself but remember the Pentium 4 Northwood running 3GHz with super cooling?
    Well I have good news for you, you don't need super cooling to do it, I managed to get my new P4 CPU upto 3GHz with simple air cooling.

First image is simple enough. This shows the WCPUID program and the Windows XP System Properties page together to show what is happening.

Here we have Sandra CPU Benchmark results at 3GHz

This one, Sandra Multimedia Benchmark results at 3Ghz.

This shows the BIOS post screen. This sorta shows that we aren't just editing images to make it look as if we got 3GHz, we actually got 3GHz.

Finally the Cooler that got me to 3GHz, AVC's new Sunflower cooler, looks similar to Intel's new Stock Heatsink.

Well thats it, I hope this gives you hope that if you are thinking of getting a Northwood P4 that they really can do some maginficent clock speeds.

Impressive stuff there mate!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

yeah, ok, but how stable is it? sure ya got to windows desktop, but how long did it stay there?

what about games and video?

is it actually USEABLE at that speed, constantly, for months on-end? while running ftp.web and IRC servers? (as i am doing on my amd k6-2 500 system {which still has some sort of problem i need to figure out..} )

lets say the answer to all is a definite "YES, NO PROBLEMS"

what board are ya using, and what besides the three fans i see are you doing? is the case always open, or normaly closed? are there more than those 3 fans? thermal transfer goo?

DETAILS , MON!

gotta have them DETAILS!

i want one... :D

:afro:

Comment

He was able to run benchmarks wasn't he? My Pentium 4 1.6A hits 2.4GHz and is stable - I'd like to see an Athlon do that! :D
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
          yeah, ok, but how stable is it? sure ya got to windows desktop, but how long did it stay there?

what about games and video?

is it actually USEABLE at that speed, constantly, for months on-end? while running ftp.web and IRC servers? (as i am doing on my amd k6-2 500 system {which still has some sort of problem i need to figure out..} )

lets say the answer to all is a definite "YES, NO PROBLEMS"

what board are ya using, and what besides the three fans i see are you doing? is the case always open, or normaly closed? are there more than those 3 fans? thermal transfer goo?

DETAILS , MON!

gotta have them DETAILS!

i want one... :D

Well I use 5 fans total

2 on the back which you can see, one at the front of the case one on the HDD rack and the one of the CPU cooler

The case is constantly closed so there it has to pull cool air from the 4 intake fans

The board used was an EPoX 4SDA+ motherboard based on the SiS 645 chipset. This chipset has proven to be the most overclockable out of the entire range, also that it supports DDR-333 does help.

I used AS3 between the CPU and heatsink. thats the extent of the cooling, CPU Core voltage was 1.85v and runs stable in all the benchmarks i run it in.

Comment

wow, so for roughly $700US i get a board, cpu and a 512mb stick of ram, and 3ghz!

sign me up for two!

Comment

All i can say is I was AMD fan, but 3GHz out of a CPU is pretty damm fast. Untill AMD catch up i will be using P4 DDR

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                He was able to run benchmarks wasn't he? My Pentium 4 1.6A hits 2.4GHz and is stable - I'd like to see an Athlon do that! :D

But at that speed it probably still wont out performe an Athlon 1800+ :laugh:

Comment

Soverign - What's the web address for AVC's Sunflower cooler?

Comment

I'd like to see what sort of 3DMark result you get at that speed with a Ti4600 installed sov.

Tweak: Wait till the tbred hits us, looking forward to the same overclocks as what we've been getting with the northwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid
                      Tweak: Wait till the tbred hits us, looking forward to the same overclocks as what we've been getting with the northwood.
                      If that is the case, it would be a welcomed change to the Athlon.
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

The Thoroughbred and the Northwood will be interesting to see how the 0.13 micron chips really do stack up against each other - despite the Northwood having a lower IPC (Instruction per Clock) ratio it is also more scalable than the Thoroughbred - so I just can't wait to see the benchmarks *rubs hands*
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Being a Hardcore AMD fan that I was and still am, I believe that AMD has come to the end of its line with the K7 core.

While being able to gain a better name for themselves during the Pentium 3/Athlon war, compared to the Pentium 4's future expanse the Athlon XP 0.18 and 0.13 cores are nothing really to get excited about.

No L2 cache increase, no FSB increases and with a max CPU bandwidth of 2.1GB/s its not able to take advantage of any new memory technologies that make their way up the ladder, after all, DDR-333 makes very little difference to AMD yet it makes a huge difference the P4.

As for its future, Intel seems to be more secure. AMD at the moment need to look at a possable change to the K7 core, more cache, 166FSB would see them gain on the P4 by quite a margin. P4 has already shown it can hit 3Ghz, where AMD has maxed out at 1.8Ghz on their existing core, and according to the meeting I had with AMD staff at ITcomdex 2002 we won't see Tbread till late Q2 it not Q3. THis is also the date that Intel release to retail 533FSB P4, SO AMD has a long way to go.

Comment

there may be a problem with the cpu at 3ghz...while it posts and benchmarks at that speed etc. because of intel technologly you don't actually know if its running slower then that, because the p4, when it gets to hot, it automatically runs itself slower till the heat normalizes, but it still says its running at 3ghz...it could really just be 2.5 or whatever :p

Comment

well the 3Ghz results are faster than any 2.5Ghz results i have ever seen, if so its a very very very fast 2.5Ghz CPU

Comment

Working...
                              X