Athlon 64FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soulburner
    Going A64 rapes all your life savings. First, you have to buy registered ECC DIMMs which are expensive, slow, and hard to find. Second, they are going to up and change the socket and everyting on you, making upgrades impossible. Third, since the memory controller is a part of the processor, chipset makers like Nvidia will no longer control industry memory upgrades. If new RAM comes out (DDR2 anyone?) and you want to upgrade, you can't just buy a new motherboard, you have to buy a new processor as well. And the RAM. And at those prices, you really get screwed.
    Ahh you have some pretty stupid points. Only the Fx/Opteron requires ECC, and if you have more than 1-2gb or ram running without ECC is like suicide.

Intel changes their sockets at lot more than amd socket-A anyone.

And DDR2 sucks at the moment due to high latencies, the frequency would have to rise alot to make it advantageous.

Oh yeah the Emergency Edition is going to take away more life savings than the AMD64's.

Comment

someone is stupid around here, unless, of course, you're a mod......................we just have a difference of opinion...........the EE makes sense, even at it's high price, to people that already have the mobo to support it...........therefore there are no combo costs involved, especially with the ram constraints of the xeon mp/EE, even upgraded ram probably isn't necessary. if that being the case, a 1000 dollar processor may be the way to go...........but, for me, i'm not convinced the a64/3200+ solution isn't the better way to go...........

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
        the EE makes sense, even at it's high price, to people that already have the mobo to support it
        since when does paying $1000 for a cpu make any sense :confused:

Comment

considering you are not shelling out for the motherboard and ram, you're looking @ some pretty high scores................this is just for bragging rights, and the biggest gun, on the playing field..........so if winning is everything, cough, cough..........extremists will shell out the bucks. i'm in an amd system. so i'm looking @ 64

Comment

To go with a good FX51 setup you will spend $1200 easily on just CPU+MB+RAM. That doesn't make much sense either. The EE setup isn't more expensive regardless of the CPU price.

Comment

and the a64 wouldn't measure up, if, you have EE supporting hardware............and, you'd spend more than that on the fx..............that's why the EE could be considered viable, even @ it's exhorbitant price...........amd is countering w/a fx-53 by years end

Comment

extreme editon sucks

Comment

Originally posted by alanmuvo
                  extreme editon sucks
                  Oh I see, you have actually tryed one I reccon.. : omg: :rolleyes2

Comment

Originally posted by alanmuvo
                    extreme editon sucks
                    Yeah it does....

:rolleyes2

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                      :wow: Damn!!!! :thumb: to him

Comment

he should have said.....sucks the dollars outta yo wallet....

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                          he should have said.....sucks the dollars outta yo wallet....
                          Like Athlon 64 doesnt?

Comment

athlon 64 isn't a dollar sucking processor @ 450..............but the fx wil suck out the bucks like a bimbo on main street..........amd will counter the EE with the fx 53 to top that, before years end.........but, i wasn't comparing. just stating a fact

Comment

I was wondering what is the price on the AMD 64-FX processor out there in the USA and in AUS??:spam: :spam: :spam:

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                                athlon 64 isn't a dollar sucking processor @ 450
                                Yea, but as said, the mobos are quite expensive, and you must get ECC RAM, which is expensive

Comment

Working...
                                X