Athlon 64FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 64FX

Why are they even talking bout it beatin the pentium 4 3.2 ghZ? (website at http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11339) I mean its not going to even proabaly come out till the 2nd quarter of 2004. By then theres gonna be the prescott, which should blow it away anywayz. But i do think intel is making a big mistake by sticking to 32 bit cpus for now, since almost every company now has their own 64 bit cpu class. By the way, since the new itanium 2 is coming out thats affordable(http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...902151731.html), should i buy that instead of an opteron? I am a gamer, but i also use heavy workloads of video editing.

first of all, the Athlon64 comes out in 3 weeks

secondly, I started a thread on this exact topic nearly 2 hours ago:

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by lilhplaya06
      Why are they even talking bout it beatin the pentium 4 3.2 ghZ? (website at http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11339) I mean its not going to even proabaly come out till the 2nd quarter of 2004. By then theres gonna be the prescott, which should blow it away anywayz. But i do think intel is making a big mistake by sticking to 32 bit cpus for now, since almost every company now has their own 64 bit cpu class. By the way, since the new itanium 2 is coming out thats affordable(http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...902151731.html), should i buy that instead of an opteron? I am a gamer, but i also use heavy workloads of video editing.
      Go with the Athlon 64 for gaming.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I don't think 64 bit and gaming really go together, which is why the opteron would be better since it can handle both 32 and 64 bit operations.

With itaniums coming out for such a low price, I wonder what will happen to the xeon and xeon mp's.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieVen
          I don't think 64 bit and gaming really go together, which is why the opteron would be better since it can handle both 32 and 64 bit operations.

With itaniums coming out for such a low price, I wonder what will happen to the xeon and xeon mp's.
          The Athlon 64/FX ARE Opterons......they handle 32 and 64 bit...

Comment

Originally posted by [b]Soulburner
            The Athlon 64/FX ARE Opterons......they handle 32 and 64 bit...
            Soulburner : Yes and No...
            Athlon64 and Opteron are NOT the same ! But both CPU's do handle 32bit and 64 bit.

-The Athlon64 is designed for gaming and general use, has 754 pins, a single memory controller and can have 1 or 2 cpu's per mobo.

-The Opteron is designed for server and workstation use, has 940 pins, dual memory controllers and can have up to 8 cpu's per mobo.
            SPAM Special Ops

Comment

And the Athlon FX is based on the Opteron though missin' 1 pin (939 pins) so it can't be used in a multi CPU setup.

Comment

Originally posted by E^vol
                Soulburner : Yes and No...
                Athlon64 and Opteron are NOT the same ! But both CPU's do handle 32bit and 64 bit.

-The Athlon64 is designed for gaming and general use, has 754 pins, a single memory controller and can have 1 or 2 cpu's per mobo.

-The Opteron is designed for server and workstation use, has 940 pins, dual memory controllers and can have up to 8 cpu's per mobo.
                The Athlon 64 and FX processors are basically Opterons, I thought you knew this.

The FX will be the faster of the two, and will be 939 pins vs the Opterons 940 (physically the same chip). The 1 pin that is missing is the one that allows SMP operation like was said.

Comment

Soulburner :-The Athlon64 is designed for gaming and general use, has 754 pins, a single memory controller and can have 1 or 2 cpu's per mobo.
                  Athlon 64 will not have SMP support
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I believe the one missing pin on the FX is the pin that allows up to eight CPUs in an Opteron setup. The FX will be limited to dual CPU at the most. I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure this is the case. The 64 will be strictly single CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_87th
                      I believe the one missing pin on the FX is the pin that allows up to eight CPUs in an Opteron setup. The FX will be limited to dual CPU at the most. I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure this is the case. The 64 will be strictly single CPU.
                      64 FX is single processor only
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I've been out of the loop with the FX-51 model....:o

I know the Athlon64 is designed for gaming and general use.
                        I know the Opteron is designed for server and workstation use.
                        What is the Athlon FX-51 designed for ? :?:
                        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                          The Athlon 64 and FX processors are basically Opterons, I thought you knew this.
                          I thought the Athlon64 was built on the Clawhammer core and that the Opteron was built on the Sledgehammer core...??
                          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

I thought the Athlon64 was built on the Clawhammer core and that the Opteron was built on the Sledgehammer core...??
                            That's correct.
                            Managing Director
                            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                              64 FX is single processor only
                              OK, I'll take your word for it. I have a vague recollection about reading something about this. The problem is that there tends to be a fair amount of misinformation on any kind of system prior to its official release. Manufacturers sometimes make last minute changes to the production model so we get all screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X