hp-ux Network questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp-ux Network questions

A long time ago I was able to connect my hp-ux machine to the internet from my IT job - all i did was create a line for my machine in the server's hosts file and in my machine's hosts file. Now that I have an old mdl 712/60 at home I want to connect it to the univer... internet :)

My pc connected with no problem since it was pnp. But unix is a horse of a different color - like baking from a box vs scratch. I tried SAM, ifconfig, domainname, and other commands but it isn't coming together.

BTW, last error message I got was that I had no domain name - even after I set it using SAM.

Thanks!
    - sweet

Re: hp-ux Network questions

Sweet,

As long as you set your HPUX system's IP address, gateway, and point it to a DNS server for resolution you should be able to get out on it. after you think you have it configured, do some basic tests such as pinging your gateway or router. If that works, try doing an nslookup on a site to see if it can resolve. If you can ping your gateway but can't resolve a host name to IP, then it's your DNS settings.

Comment

Originally posted by IT_Chief View Post
      Sweet,

As long as you set your HPUX system's IP address, gateway, and point it to a DNS server for resolution you should be able to get out on it. after you think you have it configured, do some basic tests such as pinging your gateway or router. If that works, try doing an nslookup on a site to see if it can resolve. If you can ping your gateway but can't resolve a host name to IP, then it's your DNS settings.
      1) "point it to a DNS server" - do you mean Mecca? (sorry - thanks for the tip - but I need to figure what "point" means in this case.)

2) I have tried to find the IP address of my router to do such a thing but cannot determine how to find that out. I know my basic IP (say it's X.Y.Z.W) but is the router going to be X.Y.0.0? or X.Y.0.1?

3) BTW, my own PC cannot ping my other machines through my router, but it can do a ping for google.com as well as a tracert. (it runs XP Pro) Maybe the problem is that I really don't have them on a subnet - with a domain name?? I just plug them in to the router when I need to upload BOINC wu's (768,000 and counting! :)

4) I set the hp itself as the gateway (... as I said it's all old fuzzy logic to me now.)

5) I edited my /etc/hosts file so it now has the loopback and the 4 machines I own listed so when I type 'ping _name_' the hp knows the IP - so I don't think it's that ... or the DNS (I'll look into it). After entering the ping command, the computer sits in the ether and losses 100% of the transmitted packets. (They are being sent, just not received and returned.)

6) my friend said "DHCP" ... now only if he was slightly less useful then the unix man pages then I can have him put down for having goof-and-ball disease! :/

Thanks IT_Chief, say hi to the squaw. (I'm sorry - my sense of humor is very lame.)

I really appreciate your reply - thank you _very_ much.
      - sweet

Comment

First thing you should do is on one of your windows machines that properly connects to the internet, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". That should give you for that machine, it's IP address, it's subnet mask, it's gateway (your router), and it's DNS servers it's using. Once you have that information, you should be able to use all the same information on your HP machine except with a different IP address for your host IP, but it should be on the same network.

So if your machines that work are (for instance):

and it shows your gateway as 192.168.0.1, then try setting you HPUX machine to 192.168.0.6 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1. Once you have that done you should be able to ping your gateway.

Then once you add your DNS servers you should be able to resolve to the internet. if you know how to edit files, edit your etc/resolv.conf file and add entries for the DNS servers your other machines listed. The entries should look something like this:

nameserver 208.67.220.220
        nameserver 208.67.222.222

replace the IP addresses with the ones your other machines listed as DNS servers.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by IT_Chief View Post
          First thing you should do is on one of your windows machines that properly connects to the internet, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". That should give you for that machine, it's IP address, it's subnet mask, it's gateway (your router), and it's DNS servers it's using. Once you have that information, you should be able to use all the same information on your HP machine except with a different IP address for your host IP, but it should be on the same network.

So if your machines that work are (for instance):

and it shows your gateway as 192.168.0.1, then try setting you HPUX machine to 192.168.0.6 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1. Once you have that done you should be able to ping your gateway.

Then once you add your DNS servers you should be able to resolve to the internet. if you know how to edit files, edit your etc/resolv.conf file and add entries for the DNS servers your other machines listed. The entries should look something like this:

nameserver 208.67.220.220
          nameserver 208.67.222.222

replace the IP addresses with the ones your other machines listed as DNS servers.

Hope this helps.
          I did as you said "nameserver IP" (which was found on my mac and then again from a ping of my ISP on my PC) but neither IP's worked.

I then noticed that DHCP is disabled. So I edited /etc/rc.config.d/resolv.conf to change DHCP from a '0' to a '1', i.e. DHCP_ENABLE[0]=1 and that didn't work either. Of course I rebooted after making each change.

I tried running auto_parms but it only runs from some level of operation during initialization at startup. It uses the rc script in /sbin.

--- perpetually scratching my head ...

EDIT: while I was sitting at the machine just now a message from sendmail popped onto the display. It said: "unable to qualify my domainname (my_machines_hostname) using short name."

Does this mean DHCP is working and since I have my hostname confused with my domain name that it can be fixed by straightening this out???

--- wishfully thinking ...

EDIT: I ran SAM and used it to change my domainname to www.(my_ISP).com. I think the messages stopped. Will check again tomorrow.
          Last edited by sweet; 07-13-2009, 10:00 PM.
          - sweet

Comment

I am not familiar with HP-UX but I mainly run Linux on my computers which should be similar.

Here are some things to try:

1. Are you running a firewall? If so, it could be blocking traffic in/out of the machine.

2. You need to make sure your eth hdwe is being detected. On Linux the following command will list detected hdwe:

ip addr ls

There should be lo (loopback device) plus your eth devices. It will also tell you if they are UP and what their IP address is.

Most home routers have a default IP address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Most also have a web interface so you can tweak their settings. Try entering those IP addresses in a browser on one of your computers that is connected to the router, one will likely bring up a login screen.

If the above all looks good, from HP-UX try pinging its own address, the router address, the address of other computers on the network (note: Windows vista has ping response off by default so it will not respond to ping requests.) and an Internet address.

Use the numeric IP addresses for now, we can resolve domain name issues later.

HM

Comment

Re: hp-ux Network questions SOLUTION

There were two things that needed to be set:
              1) the route command did not specify a '1' at the end of the command,
              so it needed:

# route add default 192.168.1.1 1

and

2) DHCP needed to be set to 1.

So it is online now and I apologize for not posting the SOLUTION sooner.

Thanks to all for your gracious help! (and yes all ux families are similar, just different dialects.)
              Last edited by sweet; 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM.
              - sweet

Comment

Working...
              X