Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless PC to share internet to Xbox

Hey guys,

Got a new networking scenario that I could use some help with. I have a Wireless network that I use to share internet to my laptop and another pc. I also have an older xbox that I want to connect to the internet. I don't have a crossover cable or the tools to make one (maybe i should put that on my xmas list lol), but i do have an extra old linksys 100/mb router laying around. I was wondering if I could connect my router to the NIC on my wireless PC and then connect the xbox to the router to access the internet.

I would bridge the connection between the wireless network card and the wired nic card. Anyone with experience or knowledge that could help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Wireless PC to share internet to Xbox

I hav a 100/10Mbit switch, 2 computers, internet modem and XBOX.

Connect the computers to your router with your internet modem. Also connect a lan cable to the ethernet port of the Xbox and the router.

and thats it!.

you dont need to bridge the connections, it should work straight away. If not bridge it to see what happens.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Ok, I went and bought a cross over cable to connect my xbox to my wireless PC, and I have enabled internet connection sharing. The Xbox is able to configure the IP info, but cannot resolve the DNS. Anyone have any experience with this or play around with something like this?

Comment

set it manually 192.168.0.1 (or what ever is your router's ip address) or you could use this address 203.12.160.35
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Glen B please do NOT answer questions when you have no idea what you are talking about. You are simply wasting other peoples time when you tell them something WRONG. Also Prod1gy X you did not answer his question. He did not ask about a wireless adapter he asked how to use his computer. Answer the question or don't answer simple as that.

What you need to do is make sure the computer is connected to the internet. Then plug the ethernet cable into the back of the Xbox and the Computer. From there turn the Xbox on. Then on your computer go to your "network connections". You should see a list of your connections at least a LAN and a wireless connection. You need to pick both the LAN(Xbox) and the Wireless(router) and right click. Choose "bridge connection" or "share connection" allow the computer to do its thing. Then go sign in on your Xbox.

EDIT: Im not sure on the exact steps for windows 2000 as it is not a standard OS for most people. I can confirm that MS says it works but you need to look up the ICS(internet connection sharing) steps for it
          Last edited by Darthtanion; 07-12-2009, 07:02 AM. Reason: Removing questionable links

Comment

This is the best way, and takes 2 minutes.

YouTube - How to Use Your Computer as a Wireless Xbox Live Adapter

Comment

Originally posted by Vladislav Sigibert
              you cant do that you must have a router or something to plug the Ethernet cable in. the only reason why u cant is because the PC does not provide the Internet to your box.
              Yes it works even if the PC for Xbox is on the internet wireless, but you are correct, Ethernet must be pluged in somewhere in his house to a router.

Comment

Working...
              X