Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Eck Radiations

PART 1:

I have been watching cable tv lately, and I have seen experiments of these called "Van Eck Radiation."

Van Eck Radiation is a radiation emitted by computer monitors especially CRTs by the oscillation of their cables that connects from the GFX card to the screen.

They have used a device to try to read the pictures displayed on the CRT on a computer by "receiving" and "interpreting" the radiation emitted by the CRT. The process is called Van Eck Phreaking.

They partially succeeded, but they actually see the text and image displayed on the CRT!

So, is it possible for any creep (meaning unscrupulous hackers) to build one of these "TEMPEST units" and spy on our email and personals?

PART 2:

I learned that when I put my mobile phone inside our disused microwave oven, the signal on the operator gradually decreases until the signal goes out.

Would it be possible to build a "hardened system" using the oven as a case, and the shielding of the oven serve as a shielding to contain the comp's Van Eck radiation to evade these Van Eck Phreaks?

References and Reading:

Re: Van Eck Radiations

well sort of.

if you built a screen like the door on the microwave with the holes in the screen at the precise wavelengths of the "Van Eck Radiation" then you could build a barrier.

the problem would be is that the Van Eck Radiation would be oscillating while the microwave radiation is at fixed frequency, so for your screen to be trully effective you'd need to make the holes in oscillate at the same time as your Van Eck Radiation.

personally I reckon it'd be easier to setup another pc & postion it so that the signals interfer with each other making it much harder to recombine the image.

let's face it, if you truely wanted a secure pc, fill your case with cement, bury it 12 m under ground, lose the map to its location and shoot anyone who knows you've buried a pc and then you might have a secure PC
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

let's face it, if you truely wanted a secure pc, fill your case with cement, bury it 12 m under ground, lose the map to its location and shoot anyone who knows you've buried a pc and then you might have a secure PC
      An second thought, maybe I was just too overkill... Thanks anyway.

Comment

A tinfoil hat is also required so they don't also read your thoughts and steal your passwords..........
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

If you have Tinfoil hat Linux, there's a function that you can invoke that changes the screen to a colour combination that makes it extremely difficult to read by scanning the Van Eck Radiations.

Comment

Working...
          X