This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - I screwed up badly

Confession - was into the bios - Intel D975XBX2 - I mistakenly changed the memory default frequency setting to 333MHz and now the computer will do nothing. I tried the bios recovery method using a CD I burned with my laptop to no avail. Shall I start looking for a new MB or is there something else I can do?? TIA - embarrased

Re: Need Help - I screwed up badly

You could try to reset the CMOS by removing the battery for awhile. Try it out for a few minutes ... if no change then leave it out overnight and see if anything changes. There are probably jumpers somewhere on the board to accomplish the same task but removing the battery doesn't require as much research..... .
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Thanks - that's what I'll do and then I'll try to make a recovery floppy somewhere tomorrow. Appreciate the suggestion 'muchly'.

Comment

usually you need to remove the battery & short out the jumpers - one by itself won't do it unless you leave the battery out for 3 days
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

OK - I'm back up and things are "normal". Here's an FYI for those who have the same thing happen. The backup or restore function on the Intel D975XBX2 didn't work properly on my board. I had a floppy with the correct restore BIOS, followed Intel's instructions to a T, nuttin'. OK, saw somewhere if pins 2 and 3 and shorted to go to the maintenance BIOS, all might be OK. I did that and - BINGO- I got a screen and went right into the BIOS where I reset everything to default values. Computer booted properly and all was well. I, of course, didn't let that deter me. I went right back into the BIOS and attempted to over clock the sucker again. First attempt got my board back up to speed, but, things became flaky and for some reason, my memory settings make the BIOS screens freeze as I am entering them. At this point, I think I am looking into a new board.

Comment

or don't overclock
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I don't think you should be OCing if you don't know how to clear the CMOS. Did you even read your mobo manual? I am not being mean to you in any way, I am just telling you the truth. In the end...if you didn't do it already...you will just end up burning something up.

Comment

Please look at post dates before responding to something that noone is reading...........
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                X