USB Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Questions.

Hello all. I have two questions in regards to USB and USB devices.
    In regards to USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 I have always thought that on most modern computers with built in USB slots, the USB 1.1 is on the left and the 2.0 is on the right (if facing the back of the PC tower) am I correct in making this assumtion or am I TOTALY off on this one! :P also if this is not the case, then do I have to purchase cards for my customers for them to access 2.0 capabilities.

My second question is:
    two of my customers are expieriencing restarts on they're systems basically out of no where and only when usin USB devices. I believe that this is due to the fact that 4+ USB devices are connected to they're computers w/out a powered usb hub. once again am I correct in my assumtion or is they're computers power supply not powerfull enough to handle all these devices.

In either case I would greatly appreceate any input!
    Thank you

Re: USB Questions.

To the first question: All newer computes will have all USB 2.0. It is backwards compatible with 1.1, so there's no need for USB 1.1 anymore.

To the second question: I have no idea. Try getting the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard. USB doesn't draw enough power to make it a psu issue. If the board couldn't handle 4+ USB devices, then it just wouldn't put them on there. I'm not really sure what the problem might be though. I've never had USB issues before :-/ (except in a mac).

Comment

I don't believe any modern motherboads even have USB 1.1 any more. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible therefore there is no point to having both on a modern board.

As for the question on restarts I'd be more tempted to say they have some sort of driver conflict than lack of power although that is a possibility. Are there any items of note in the event viewer reguarding the crashes?

Edit: eat@joes was a bit faster at answering than I.
      Last edited by PrairieDawg; 01-17-2006, 10:24 PM.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcomputersolutions
        Hello all. I have two questions in regards to USB and USB devices.
        In regards to USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 I have always thought that on most modern computers with built in USB slots, the USB 1.1 is on the left and the 2.0 is on the right (if facing the back of the PC tower) am I correct in making this assumtion or am I TOTALY off on this one! :P also if this is not the case, then do I have to purchase cards for my customers for them to access 2.0 capabilities.
        Totally off. As they said, USB is backwards-compatible and no modern systems have 1.1, and no system would ever need both. They only need for a USB 2.0-capable system is for devices capable of using the speed. A wireless USB device will be limited by USB 1.1, as will transfer speeds on USB 2.0 removable storage.

My second question is:
        two of my customers are expieriencing restarts on they're systems basically out of no where and only when usin USB devices. I believe that this is due to the fact that 4+ USB devices are connected to they're computers w/out a powered usb hub. once again am I correct in my assumtion or is they're computers power supply not powerfull enough to handle all these devices.
        It's possible. What devices are in use?

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Totally off. As they said, USB is backwards-compatible and no modern systems have 1.1, and no system would ever need both. They only need for a USB 2.0-capable system is for devices capable of using the speed. A wireless USB device will be limited by USB 1.1, as will transfer speeds on USB 2.0 removable storage.

It's possible. What devices are in use?

Comment

What system is all that running on? I certainly wouldn't want to run it all through one hub...

Comment

Compaq something

P 4 1.7Mhz CPU
              128 megs RAM
              60GIG HD
              56x CD-ROM
              12x CD-Burner
              Sound Blaster Live 6.1
              ATI Radeon 9600

Windows XP Pro

I donno I cant remember all the stats I told him to get a :
              5 port Powered USB hub.
              1 GIG RAM

and possibly a new Power supply

I know how rough that sounds like. My other buddy is a musician has:
              13 USB devices installed
              P3 866Mhz processor
              Intel motherboard
              1 Gig Ram
              80Gig HD
              40Gig HD
              16x DVD-ROM
              56x CD-Burner
              Sound Blaster Audigy system hooked up to audio rack mount
              2 Firewire connections
              Windows XP Pro
              and about 120 core processes running at all times

its KILLER

Comment

What power supplies are both systems using?

Windows XP Pro
                and about 120 core processes running at all times
                Reinstall Windows XP. This system will probably take between two and four hours to fix manually, if the person fixing it even has enough skill to do it at all.

Comment

Working...
                X