No announcement yet.

IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's really tidy, BUhockey, did you make any of those rounded cables? (Bit difficult to tell from pic.)

I'm just rebuilding my setup and am all tangled up in wires - I've put a CDRom drive in the top bay, left an empty bay underneath it, then CD-RW under that - thinking about heat. But these P4-ready cases have more PSU wires than ATX-only, so I may have to move the top drive down. Or can I tuck the spare PSU stuff in between the 2 drives?

As you can guess, I'm not exactly the most experienced builder, and I'm a bit worried about bundling up cables in case they overheat??????

I've got 80mm Evercools front and back, and a slot fan beside the AGP video card; now i've put a 2-fan Akasa cooler on my new 120GXP. Power is Antec 340W. CPU is non-overclocked 1gb Athlon 200fsb with non-screaming fan on heatsink.

Please tell me if I'm in danger of overloading.

Comment

• Shoot, dude I got a heftier system that that running on an Antec 350

AOpen AK77 Pro (KT266), T-Bird 1.4 @ 1.58 (151x10.5), Gainward GF3 @ 251/571, 512MB PC2100 DDR.

Stable. Antec's PSU's are good.

Comment

• When I clicked Send/Rec to send you that email, in came a notification from Tweaktown that Morgan had posted - so this is where we met :).

So I'll tell everyone here that the noise in my pc was not my 75GXP, it was the PSU - which is actually a Chieftec 340W, I called it Antec because I thought that was the American name for it.

Morgan

Thanks for the info - I'm temporarily running on an old 300W now, nice and smooth, but I've taken out the slot fan 'just in case'.

Comment

• Sounds like you were lucky... :)

Comment

• Talking PSUs.... I'm running a 431W Enermax on my rig..... :D Even has temperature sensitive cooling fans.... revs up when the case gets hot and down when it's cool..... now that's cool :)

Comment

• great article Cam,

I've got an 60GXP 60 Gb ... thought I had a great disk t'ill it was 3 months old ... it clicked and made some other ugly noises , when it booted again (after a resting period of 1/2 h) I had 'lucky me' a disk with bad sectors/clusters, and I don't even use it at 100% performance since my mobo only supports udma 33.

My local pc shop performed a low lvl format (tried this first, otherwise would have been bigdiskless for +/- 2-3 weeks) and now it works fine again, but I'm gonna install some cooling, i dont thrust it anymore.

greetz khaotic

Comment

• I have the IBM 60GXP in 40GB. I have used this with an older 550 Athlon which heats up like crazy.

I have a full tower case and have used the baycooler HD Coolers (www.baycooler.com) from day one of getting the drive. Cheap but effective. I did manage to fry out a Maxtor 5400 drive when I had the Athlon in a mid tower case.

I have since learned my lesson and now use cooling fans on all of my HDD.

So far my IBM HDD is still running fine without noises and I leave my system on 24/7. I have no issues so far so I'm not buying into the fact that these HDD should run only 8 hours a day.

I'm not quite sure if these are like some cars, some are good and some are bad. I'm gonna get another IBM HDD, this time an 80GXP and hopefully I won't have issues with it.

The 80 is gonna be transported hell and back and in mid towers and elsewhere as I have Computer Classes to take this quarter. I'll have to see how this one holds up. It will have a single fan in the removable HDD Case.

Wish me luck with this one guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unregistered
                  I have the IBM 60GXP in 40GB.... I have no issues so far so I'm not buying into the fact that these HDD should run only 8 hours a day.
                  IBM say that the 120GXP drives should run only 8 hours a day, not the earlier models
                  TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

• Here's a list of sites that have or are on IBM's case about their HDD's.

and that's only a few off the top of my head plus all have a good standing in the industry. :smokin:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

• Wait, you missed TweakTown! :D
                      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

• Apparently IBM has decided the problem would best be addressed by the Hitachi corporation.
                        Yep, seems IBM is leaving the Harddrive business.

Well, not exactly leaving, see the article.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                          Wait, you missed TweakTown! :D
                          And the list would be a lot shorter , if it was people /sites/users not affected/pissed off by the IBM deathstars.

Comment

• sorry to dig this up again, but i got my new IBM HDD a few months ago and its been running fine. I added a 92mm panaflo directly under the drive and its always on, the entire HDD is very cool to the touch even after heavy gaming. Now im busy downloading all the data i lost :\

well anyway, everythings working fine now, although its really REALLY dusty ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X