No announcement yet.

IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just thinking of why IBM would recommend only 333 hours. But i think i may be wrong. But i think your little article was a good warning because you are not the only one who has had problems. Other well known sites have had problems too with IBM HDs. I for one will never even think about buying a IBM HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      I think my 75GXP has just fallen to this: it starts makeing a loud "CHH CHH CHH" when I read from certain parts of the disk. Worked great for about a year and a half until just this past weekend.

It was an OEM drive, but I heard that all IBM drive have a 3 year warranty. Anyone know for sure, and who would I contact to go about getting an RMA?
      What country are you from?

Comment

I was just thinking of why IBM would recommend only 333 hours. But i think i may be wrong. But i think your little article was a good warning because you are not the only one who has had problems. Other well known sites have had problems too with IBM HDs. I for one will never even think about buying a IBM HD.
        Thanks - This is exactly what I tried to do.

Comment

Also i do not think being 18 has anything to do with this topic. I do not care if you were 40 ,50, or even 80. You can be any age now a days a know a lot about computers.

Comment

Plus Maxtor and WD RMA policy is better than IBM's RMA policy. Maxtor i know you can get a new HD within 2 days if not less. IBM you will be lucky if you get a new HD back in a week. But most of the time for getting a new IBM HD it takes 15 to 30 days +. Sometimes 2 months or more. Thats just another thing IBM is known for.

Comment

Also i do not think being 18 has anything to do with this topic. I do not care if you were 40 ,50, or even 80. You can be any age now a days a know a lot about computers.
              I couldn't agree with you more - I was only addressing the concern of a previous post.

Comment

Ok. But thanks for the great article. Was very well appreicated. I know it takes time to build a good website like this a keep it maintained everyday.

Comment

Ok. But thanks for the great article. Was very well appreicated. I know it takes time to build a good website like this a keep it maintained everyday.
                  You deserve a medal, finally some appreciation.

: peace:

Comment

You Are Very Welcome. I know you do not have to run this site and have to do these articles but you choose to so you can help people.

Comment

I've been running into bad blocks on my IBM 75GXP 30.0G... I've fdisked it abunch of times over about 12 months and now I'm doing a scandisk (with surface scan) about once a week ... just to be safe....

I have no cooling for my HDD but MBM5 says my CPU is 37C (I have 2 80mm deltas cooling my case).... should I concider a WD to transfer the data to? I'm a bit worried.... can I RMA this? hasn't failed .... yet....... :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by BUhockey13
                        I've been running into bad blocks on my IBM 75GXP 30.0G... I've fdisked it abunch of times over about 12 months and now I'm doing a scandisk (with surface scan) about once a week ... just to be safe....

I have no cooling for my HDD but MBM5 says my CPU is 37C (I have 2 80mm deltas cooling my case).... should I concider a WD to transfer the data to? I'm a bit worried.... can I RMA this? hasn't failed .... yet....... :confused:
                        Contact your nearest IBM dealer and see what they say.

Comment

i'd recommend keeping a reliable backup of all critical data, but this goes without saying for all drives, as mentioned earlier, no drive lasts forever...

the comment tweak got regarding the Cirrus chips sounds like it may well have been the very source of the problem, as from memory, the IBM drives do use Cirrus chip technology, so as far as IBM having to fix it, it really could have been the fault of a thrid party chip manufacturer...

nice note to add though...

also there was mention of drive temperatures being coolest in ibm, from my recollection, the temps recorded from the drive are internal operating temperatures, and my IBM drive that died, was kept at around 20 idle up to 30-35 heavy load, as i used 2x80mm fans to keep it cool... the real heat problem - as the cirrus chip scenario may point to - is the heat of the control circuit; which is external to the monitoring of the drive temperature. take a heavily loaded IC add 20 degrees induced by the adjacent drive platter's heat, and u know that those chips are gunna be warm...

and as we all know, life of any electrical component is shortened when it runs hotter - hence we buy 20kg HSFs with 7k fans that pump out 48dBa of noise for our cpu's, coz we don't want em to just...die...or fry rather...

Comment

Comment

The clicking sound sounds more like *tick...tick...tick....tick...tick*

Comment

*remembers back to first 60gxp tick tick ticking**shudder*
                                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                                X