A way to move a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to move a computer?

I have a desktop and i wonna bring it to my friends house. He does not live very far away, but does anyone have any sudgestions on how to properly stow and move a desktop and a LCD moniter?

Thanks,

Re: A way to move a computer?

Carefully?

Seriously, how did you get the stuff home from the store? You used a little care and common sense. Same thing applies here.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Unhook it and load it into the vehicle...or to be more detailed. Grasp the bottom of the case and carry like a box...

Comment

what are the risks of moving a computer?

Comment

You drop it and something breaks. A car hits you and destroys the computer (but you survive, otherwise it wouldn't matter). You pass by a construction site where thay are using lare electromagnets and deside it would be fun to put your computer under one. A plane crashes and hits the computer (again, misses you). Someone mugs you and steals it...

Getting the point yet? It's not as complicated as you seem to think. It's in a case for a reason. Just pick the damn thing up and carry it. I've done it a few dozen times for LAN parties, as have most of my friends. I'd be more worried about the monitor, ig you bring that. The same risks are involved, but a monitor is a lot more fragile than a computer. It's also heavier, if the weight is actually an issue for you.

Comment

Unless you have a huge hevy heatsink on that CPU of yours then you should be fine, Dad droped the P3 on his way up the stairs the other day and it was fine... but be careful anyway.

Comment

alright, what about car transpertation same thing? should i like put it in a padded card board box or something?

Comment

When I goto lan at friends houses, I just put it in the front on pasenger's side. Should be no proplems with that if you wish you can put a seatbelt on it... Accualy that wouldent be a bad idea. Back seat would work just as well.

Comment

I usually just set computers on the floor in the back seat and monitors screen side down on the seat itself. If you can get the seat belt to hold the monitor in palce it is a bonus. Avoid performance driving and sudden stops ... not to mention rising waters, tornados, rollovers, and extreme impacts with other vehicles and/or buildings.
                  Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I have a good one, I want to get to my friends house, and I don't have a car. It's too far to walk, to far to bike, but I can take the bus. I have a box, an LCD moniter, keyboard and mouse. I don't have a backpack to hold them all, but I want to secure them as to keep them away from the shady people on the bus. What do I do?

Comment

don't take the bus...

Comment

Whats this friends thing other gamers talk about?

Comment

huh?
                          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                          My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                            huh?
                            Read the first post. I think he's implying he has no friends...

As for the bus, I wouldn't take it unless:

1. You have a very good way of transporting it all at once (obviously you can't make multiple trips). A really big, padded box might work.
                            2. You are either traveling 50 feet or less to and from the bus stop, own a firearm, or are experienced and skilled in hand-to-hand combat. I live in the suburban midwest, and if I were walking around with a computer I'd expect someone to try to mug me.

Comment

is it dangerous to leave the videocard on the slot while transporting?

Comment

Working...
                              X