Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would, but its damn near impossible to pass up a brand new mobo for $5

Comment

well, just crunched some numbers and it looks like were going to reach 70k in 3mo or so. (92day prediction shows 28500 more WUs)
      So the goal should be reached.
      Do you think we'll hit 100K? or is it just a pipe dream?

Comment

How about we see if we can get to 90K 1st? :?:

Comment

At the rate were going, it looks like we are going to be well into the 90s at the end of the year.

Comment

If you are on pace to hit 95 K by the end of the year, than a feasable goal with some difficulty to achieve would be a goal of 120K or 130K, or even 150K. This way you will have to recruit people and really 'work' to acheive the goal. A goal that you are on pace to hit already isn't much of a goal. :2cents:

Comment

So, zeradul, are you on the Team under a different name? If not, feel free to join. We would appreciate your contri's. :wave:
              :-(

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
                So, zeradul, are you on the Team under a different name? If not, feel free to join. We would appreciate your contri's. :wave:
                he he.. thats the spirit...:laugh:

Comment

Personally, I dont like to sell people on anything.
                  If you want to - try it!
                  If you like it - stick with it!
                  I dont want to go and recruit members.

I just got a email from some1 who is giving some sob story about a little girl, wants every1 to join his S@H team. :blah:
                  Thats what i dont want this team to become.
                  :2cents:

Comment

more details on that little girl.. i dont see how seti is gonna do anything for a little girl

Comment

No, I don't participate in any distributed computing at this time. If I did, it would not be SETI, simply because the Dish's used to collect data are not powerful enough to catch anything as far as I know. The exceptions being some sort of ET Life in our own star system, OR some technology we know nothing about (a technology more capable of being sent through space) And remember, if we don't know of that technology, our dish's are unlikely to pick it up.

The Gigantic dish made out of the natural shape of the land is only capable of recieving a Cell Phone call from Jupiter (Source - History Channel, Modern Marvels). And Jupiter is just down the hall in galactic measurements. So lets say a really beefy TV signal, or Radio signal of some type is sent from the NEAREST star system. If you consider the ratio of how close Jupiter is, with the relative power of a Cell phone, and then compare how far away the nearest Star system is, and compare that with how BEEFY the broadcast would have to be, and you get a Broadcast requireing SO MUCH POWER that it exceeds anything mankind has accomplished by a factor of a million.

So here's an analogy: Our Dish's are barely capable of hearing a whisper in the same room, and now we are trying to hear whispers from Japan?

Now I don't want to start an arguement, nor am I an expert, and I am sure there are theories that have merit, but I'm just doing simple math, and with that said, it is not worth the wasted electricity (and therefore resources) (IMO) to be used on such a persuit.

And if I am mistaken on the proven capability of our technology, please post a link to a concise stat sheet of the technology involved. I am interested.

--------------------------------

With all of that said, participating in something like SETI can be fun if for no other reason than racking up points. I'm sure it gives a feeling of accomplishment, and that is rewarding.

----------

And I wasn't suggesting you mass spam people trying to find Seti participants, I'm just saying you could expand your attempts to get forumer's to join, and recruit like that. Maybe give out prizes or something to any new member who completes the most units in the month of Aug, or something. I was just saying that a goal that you are already on pace to hit isn't much of a goal.

Comment

vinnie, dont know something like she has something wrong with her or X months to live. It was Team Multi National which is going to pass us btw in few days. :rolleyes2

zeradul; thank you for making my point for me. If you got all these reasons why you dont want to join a team and crunch SETI, i dont want you to. I dont want to pressure or sell you on something that you have no interest in.
                        If you want to join, there is a link in my sig (as well as some other members here), so thats as much of a "advertising" i am willing to do.
                        It seems that after we put the links in the sigs, a lot more people decided to join, and not because we went out and recruited them, but they decided to give it a shot, some stuck with it, others did not. Its all in good fun.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

I totally agree with ya kane. If people want it, they will come. If they dont, they wont come. Its all good.

Zeradul: What you said made me somewhat interested in this topic, and I think Ill go ahead and do some research on my own. Even if what you said is true, I still would likely stay with it just for that feeling of accomplishment:D :thumb:

Comment

And remember, I could be wrong, so keep me posted as to what you find. I am very interested to become more informed.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                                And remember, I could be wrong, so keep me posted as to what you find. I am very interested to become more informed.
                                I think you're completly wrong with the statements that you make, but I dont want to argue about it. Like I said before, if you dont want to do it, its OK. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                                X