No announcement yet.

S@H TT Team Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thats fine, and I'm interested to see any info you come across.

Comment

Well Arecibo can only focus on one point at a time and only cover about 33% of those stars that ppl get to see in the northern hemishere but, the radio dish at Parkes here in Australia should soon be online plus can cover almost 100% of the viewable stars in the southern hemishere with 13 focal points (and everyone should know that more stars can be seen down here than up north).

Comment

I did not know about there being more stars viewable from the southern hemisphere, thanks. At least I did not remember, if I did, since I did take quite a few classes in astronomy, both in High School and College. I do know about the 'Southern Cross,' but that's pretty much the extent of the Southern Hemisphere astronomy I can recall.

Regarding the signals that the SETI people are trying to pick up, it is a common misconseption that we are trying to detect a signal that is a single, specific transmission for, say communication. What we are most likely to detect is an aggregate of all of the high energy transmissions that are eminating from an entire planet. This would be like the television signals that have been eminating from the numerous broadcast stations around the Earth. At a great distance, these numerous individual signals will blend together and form a seemingly single transmission over a relatively narrow band of the RF frequency. Of course a signal like this weakens greatly over the distances they would travel to reach another planet in another solar system and you would need to speak to a Radio Telescope Astronomer to get an understanding of the reasoning behind the frequencies that are scanned and analyzed in the myriad ways that have been devised.

There is one other statement made above that is completely erroneous and I would like to straighten it out. The comment is: "The Gigantic dish made out of the natural shape of the land.." Whomever made that statement took no effort to research the facts. If you observe the extensive photo gallery that was recently provided on the SETI@home site, you can see that the reflective grid is formed of wire mesh that does not come in contact with the ground. It is supported by cables that are anchored to towers or other types of anchors at relatively few, key points.

Now, why anyone would waste their time reporting completely erroneous information, as I am sure most, if not all, of what was stated above is, is beyond me. And another thing, for someone to completely believe in, and diseminate, such complete bull**** as the truth, without delving into the matter on their own, is also inexcusable.

The more I think about the ignorance of the statements above and the complete arrogance of making a statement like "...if I am mistaken on the proven capability of our technology, please post a link to a concise stat sheet of the technology involved." The more completely dumbfounded I become.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to start an argument. After all, I could be wrong!

(Gee, anyone out there old enough to have watched the sitcom 'Barny Miller?' In my opinion it was one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. You'd have to know about the character named Deitrickto know what I'm getting at.)
        :-(

Comment

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/stardist.htmlhttp://joy.chara.gsu.edu/RECONS/TOP100.htm ) and most do not contain planets capable of supporting life as we know it.

And so at that distance, Z = 4 * 3.14 * 32.6^2 = 13348.26
          Which gives us a ratio of 10,627,600 times the strength of a Cell phone. And that approaches the magnitude i sited in my previous post. And thats still only at 32.6 Light years away. The nearest Galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy located at a distance of 2 million light years away, (source: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/SaraLi.shtml ) and a signal from this distance would need to original at a strength equivalent of 50.2 Trillion times the strength of a cell phone, which I think you will agree is far more power than any broadcasts we have ever used. And that is once again, the nearest galaxy.

And so to keep things in perspective, the best we can do at this time is still only a tiny tiny tiny portion of our galaxy, much less the universe, but we have to start somewhere. Finding hard evidence of life would be a phenomenal discovery, so more power to ya.

Comment

I dont want to really get involved in this debate but I would like to point out that a cell phone only has .25watts of transmittion power. If you were to combine all of the cellphones in the world? hundreds of thousands of watts in Asia alone, then add on top of the the thousands of television Xmitters at about 50,000 watts, radio stations 50,000, Then step into the military RADAR range 500,000 watts (and that is not even the focused beam RADAR.) you would probably reach into the range described. and as Elrado pointed out over a great distance these radio stations (anything xmitting a signal) would blend together, Who knows..maybe the static space noise that we are listening to is actually a signal already we just dont know what it sounds like on the other end!

And if we were only able to hear a cell phone from Jupiter how have we been able to track and recieve data from the orbiters around Jupiter? :shrug: I think the statistics that are quoted are like all statistics...bend them, mold them, and shape em into whatcha want!

Edit...and that is just the US...I know for a fact that most other countries dont adhear to the power output recomendations of the FCC. and Some TV/Radio stations in Rural areas are allowed 100,000 watts of power, which is one reason I can hear radio from the east coast, well that and the ionosphere bouncing signals back down (SKIP)

Comment

LMAO.
              Thanks Cheez as I was wondering how much power does a cell phone have as thats the only thing he didnt really say.

Comment

You got me thinking about and researching Jupiter Zeradul....Seems there's a lot of discrepancies in opinions regarding Jupiter's surface temperature, composition, gravitational pull, etc.....
                I was wondering......would you go to Jupiter, give us a call on your cell phone and tell us what the weather's like? We'll be listening for ya at our computers.....:laugh:

Comment

Damn...Can you hear me now? good

Comment

Damn...Can you hear me now? good
                    Haha, thats awesome.

Comment

ET phoned home and he didnt use a cell phone!
                      We can do it. :rofl:

Comment

We'd be better off visiting Ganymede or Europa Or some of Jupiter's other moons. They're a bit more interesting.

Can you hear me now? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
                          We'd be better off visiting Ganymede or Europa Or some of Jupiter's other moons. They're a bit more interesting.

Can you hear me now? :?:
                          Yes they would be...

Can you hear me now is a Verizon wireless add campaign, A guy walks everywhere, is holding a cell phone, and keeps asking into it "Can you hear me now?" "Good" then they go into their speal about how they have the largest most complete cell service in the country.

Comment

Yes, I know. They actually show those commercials here, too.

There are a few people in this part of Florida who have cell phones...

I was joining in the fray. :flames:

Comment

Hey guys.. last time i checked, a radio wave cannot travel through space.. only microwaves can i think... So your theory about using all the radio stations trasmitters to talk to aliens or whatever is now gone out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyck15
                                Hey guys.. last time i checked, a radio wave cannot travel through space.. only microwaves can i think... So your theory about using all the radio stations trasmitters to talk to aliens or whatever is now gone out the window.
                                Are you willing to put money on that? :D
                                Check this out....

Comment

Working...
                                X