Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't call Gator spyware.

Or they'll see you in court...

Don't call Gator spyware; err, irritating intrusive garbage, or you might be sued by the company for libel. Gator is no stranger to criticism, being a regular target of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, as well as much of the industry, for persistent security holes and sleazy business tactics.

A group of web publishers such as the The Washington Post, the New York Times, and Dow Jones, recently filed suit against the company claiming that Gator sells ads on their Web sites without permission and then pockets the profits. The suit labeled the company as a "parasite that free rides on the hard work and investment" of web publishers.

We've talked about Gator several times in the past. Gator has long been targeted by spyware removal products like Adaware and Spybot search and destroy; even Symantec at one point labeled the program a Trojan, despite Symantec being a one-time investor in Gator corporation.

The software is bundled with numerous applications, and pitched as a useful service (a fairly feeble claim). In reality its primary purpose is to track users shopping habits, provide them with customized advertisements for products, then kick back fees to the Gator corp. when purchased.

Apparently in a PR push to improve their image, Gator corporation has been launching lawsuits against companies who refer to their product as "spyware" according to CNET. It's "Adware", the company insists, since users must approve the product before installation. PCPitstop, a website dedicated to tweaking your system, has settled over a libel suit filed by Gator corporation, and was forced to remove any and all references to Gator as "spyware", as well as articles urging users to boycott the company.

In related news, bank robbery can now only be referred to as "professional forced fund reallocation." :laugh:

source: Karl Bode - dslreports.com

^^ : omg:

BlackIce
    Spyware: A general term for a program that surreptitiously monitors your actions. While they are sometimes sinister, like a remote control program used by a hacker, software companies have been known to use spyware to gather data about customers. The practice is generally frowned upon.

What Is
    In general, spyware is any technology that aids in gathering information about a person or organization without their knowledge. On the Internet, spyware is programming that is put in someone's computer to secretly gather information about the user and relay it to advertisers or other interested parties. Spyware can get in a computer as a software virus or as the result of installing a new program. Data collecting programs that are installed with the user's knowledge are not, properly speaking, spyware, if the user fully understands what data is being collected and with whom it is being shared.

Net Lingo
    Software that gathers information about a user as he or she navigates around the Web, it is intended to track surfing habits in order to build marketing profiles. Spyware is often included in "free downloads" from the Web, where the license agreement (which so many of us accept without reading) may mention that information about your habits will be transmitted back to the company's Web site-but not information specifically about you. Spyware is cause for public concern about privacy on the Internet.
    <hr>

Do you notice a trend? I sure do. If they're so bashful about the term, then maybe they ought to do something about their business practices. They're a bunch of thieves using SPYWARE to track surfing habits for no other purpose than to sell your information to other unscrupulous businesses who can then target you for unsolicited messages, emails and advertisement banners.

So they wanna sue folks? They can come here too for all I care, but they better take a number since it is a pretty much Web-wide accepted definition of the term. Besides... I just calls 'em likes I sees 'em.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      BlackIce
      Spyware: A general term for a program that surreptitiously monitors your actions. While they are sometimes sinister, like a remote control program used by a hacker, software companies have been known to use spyware to gather data about customers. The practice is generally frowned upon.

What Is
      In general, spyware is any technology that aids in gathering information about a person or organization without their knowledge. On the Internet, spyware is programming that is put in someone's computer to secretly gather information about the user and relay it to advertisers or other interested parties. Spyware can get in a computer as a software virus or as the result of installing a new program. Data collecting programs that are installed with the user's knowledge are not, properly speaking, spyware, if the user fully understands what data is being collected and with whom it is being shared.

Net Lingo
      Software that gathers information about a user as he or she navigates around the Web, it is intended to track surfing habits in order to build marketing profiles. Spyware is often included in "free downloads" from the Web, where the license agreement (which so many of us accept without reading) may mention that information about your habits will be transmitted back to the company's Web site-but not information specifically about you. Spyware is cause for public concern about privacy on the Internet.
      <hr>

Do you notice a trend? I sure do. If they're so bashful about the term, then maybe they ought to do something about their business practices. They're a bunch of thieves using SPYWARE to track surfing habits for no other purpose than to sell your information to other unscrupulous businesses who can then target you for unsolicited messages, emails and advertisement banners.

So they wanna sue folks? They can come here too for all I care, but they better take a number since it is a pretty much Web-wide accepted definition of the term. Besides... I just calls 'em likes I sees 'em.
      I agree 100%.

Comment

Bring them on.... no court will see Gator as anything other than spyware... They have no case ...

Comment

I have a simple term for them instead of spyware, CRAP. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            I have a simple term for them instead of spyware, CRAP. :D
            ^^ Works for me..

Comment

OK, just a heads-up here folks!

Gator is no longer with us.

It is now known as "Claria".

TIME TO UPDATE THE RESTRICTED SITES LIST IN IE

remember;

that's *.claria.com

call it what you like, name it after a perfume if you want - it still smells like wiggo's definition.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

they don't like the term 'spyware'? that's ok, I've got lots of other words that work just as well; although many are similar to Wiggo's fine choice ;)

Comment

what are you talking about - its great software - its made me about $400 - since I've had to fix several peoples PC's who had the crappy spyware adware piece of **** installed.

Gator would have a better public image if their software didn't f*** up so many pc's, reguardless of the fact that its spyware.

I
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

It's not a good a KaZaA in that respect but I'd rather finish my shed and new shed PC than fix other's mistakes atm. :(

Comment

I would rather not to have fix the problems either but I can't complain about it
                      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

PC Pitstop has put together a couple of nice pages in an attempt to inform the general public.
                        Do they even know there are PC-related sites?

Firstly, the Gator information center;

When you get through that section, head on over to the Gator Quiz;

I don't think Claria approves of these, but hopefully some folks will learn a bit from these.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

no matter what gator says they are and will be a spyware. alright they changed the name but wtf??? will they ever change in the core? thing is that such companies are really putting the pressure and sites like PCPitStop are giving up.
                          here is a recent article from Lavasoft - Makers of Ad-aware regarding this pressurising/legal cases.
                          Wake Up Call
                          as you can see Dell and pcpitstop have given up. Who next?
                          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          jabber : [email protected]
                          =======================
                          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

they are f****** crap that jams up computers

Someone should sue they for hogging bandwidth and processor time.
                            Its NOT true true that are given an option to install/not install this parasite.

Comment

Gator/Claria is just a bunch of junk, crap, ****, and spywayre and I've always removed it ASAP

Comment

Working...
                              X