Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I replace my G4 fan? (Warning: Gone Feral)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Nego...uhh or is it Balrog now? Anywho, you don't
    hapeen to be Italiano Do ya??????Que paaso????
    One thing 'bout those sticky pads.......if ya build your own
    system from a bare bones kit........Make Certain to remove them,
    and not with a sharp knife,etc., and than clean the HS/proc with
    a New/Clean 100% cotton cloth (or equivelant) before applying
    thermal compound or you will create an air pocket/dead air tunnel around the core and surely fry the proc..........but, don't fell stupid
    if ya haven't cuz i knows tons of supossedly qualified Techs
    that continue to make that mistake at the owners expense.....
    Oh, yeah,by the way just a tiny spot of Super glue (gel type)
    will hold fine & can easily be removed without damage........done
    it mucho times with utmost success rate.:D

Now, where'd i put dat damn wine????
    Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Not Italian nope, but my family is Romanian, so close. :D

Now I gotta crash. Almost 7 am.
      :zzz:

Comment

Originally posted by negomike
        random babblings... and take up the holly cry of.. flatulence, crashaexperta, datainvalada...
        :eek: Flatulence followed by "crashaexperta, datainvalada"
        sounds like a strangely yet vaguely familiar mexican/italian
        food staple that tends to be quite explosive when combined
        with lethal amounts of sour mesh whiskey/beer........lol.....
        Having been an expert captain o' the blue screen 'o Death
        and inadvertant chauffer of data invalidation parking myself, is
        one thing.........but, not while eating that volitale concoction
        :( :eek: : peace2:

Comment

Hey dryad, so ur saying that a spot of hot glue, on top of the thermal compound will hold the HS down without melting or causing damage? Well hypotheticaly I am going to buy a replacement card and use the HS/F that is on the new card and put it on my old card before I return it for my money back, because the HS/F that was on my old card has brown spots all over it and dust stuck in the channels, so this way with the new HS/F on the old card the old card will look like the new card, But the only problem is that I dont want to make the same mistake and damage the video card like I did last time, So what is the best way to disconnect the fan conector and push pins, without damageing the card? On the card I broke I was using a screwdriver in the botom area of the pinconnector wigling it back and forth, but when I was done you could easily see that It had been tampared with, how can I pervent this?
          my view on the two party system...

Comment

oooh...so that's how it broke! I had a lot of trouble pulling out my fan connector from the video card as well. In fact, I remember that I was scared as soon as I pulled it out that I broke the thing because I pulled so hard. I'd like to know if there's an easy way to take that out as well.

I can see how that would've broken your card--I'm surprised I didn't brake mine!

Comment

Originally posted by ZeAliOuS
              but when I was done you could easily see that It had been tampared with, how can I pervent this?
              That doesn't sound so good. If it is obviouse that the card has been tampered with your likely hood of returning it goes down.

[b]Hey dryad, so ur saying that a spot of hot glue, on top of the thermal compound will hold the HS down without melting or causing damage?
              I believe it is a tiny spot of glue on the left, another tiny spot on the right and mostly arctic silver in the middle.

I *think* it should look like this.

* = crazy glue, gel type right?
              o = actic silver

oooooooooo
              * oooooooooooo *
              oooooooooo

Dam-nagit, seems I can't get it to format correctly and Wiggo will shoot me if I put any html code again. Um, those three line should all be centered. Big glob in middle two small point on each side.

Sorry I still haven't gotten around to digging up those articles for you guys.

Comment

Exactly what type of glue? you mean that the glue goes on the side of the chip and not on the chip? Glueing it down to like the side of the chip/partly on the board? You really think that just a fan connector will mess up a video card?
                my view on the two party system...

Comment

I just happened across this site, I don't indorse it or anything because I haven't read through it, just looking for some of the stuff you were talking about.

Here is Arctic Silver's instruction page which also has some great pictures and has a great run through of how to apply their products.

Here are some great guides from www.Tomshardware.com
                  Reader How Tos: Building For Stability

Building Your Own PC, Part 1 Know-How for Do-It-Yourselfers

Building Your Own PC, Part 2: Assembly Step by Step

Again, I strongly suggest you start regularly browsing tech sites. Use the links on the front page of www.tweaktown.com or use the TT link list. I think it will save you a lot of head/heart/and wallet ache.

------
                  I would like to thank you again, Wiggo and Mr. Tweak, for answering my questions, as I learn more, the more I smack my head.

Random qoute from some site I visited today:
                  "My main objection to the suicide bombing I guess is how commercial it's gotten... Back in '88 a guy straps some explosives to his check and blew himself up... now you gotta make a video, pose for some 8x10's. Maybe I'm old school, but what ever happend to the suicide bomber who just did it for the love of the hate?" -Dennis Miller

Comment

Originally posted by ZeAliOuS
                    Hey dryad, so ur saying that a spot of hot glue, on top of the thermal compound will hold the HS down without melting or causing damage? Well hypotheticaly
                    :no: :no: :no: No, i said Gel type Super glue & just a pin drop
                    on two opposing corners Never ontop of TC...O.K? OKAY!

And NEVER use HOT GLUE unless you are detirmined to ruin your intire investment in an upgradable PC System...... or unless your doing arts and crafts with your Grandma

As for Video card HSF unit/Push pins, turning the card over and Gently squeezing the split end of the pins together as you slowly push them through; when properly done, should solve taht dilemma.

And it wouldn't hurt for ya to take some advice from others here like NegoMike as he is doing what you seem not too.......using the
                    available resources here and elsewhere on the net for research.

As for HSF plug.......if you don't have/can't borrow a small pair of
                    adjustable jawed pliers (and by small 6-7 inch) then try Hemostats.........ya know what Doc's use for Brain surgery,and
                    pot heads use for roach clips.......and rock the plug GENTLY
                    form side to side while lifting up. And if ya want best HS for da money get the chrome plated copper ones with the high fins.
                    And whenever ya get the new card shoot me a PM & i'll walk you
                    through the Registry Cheats for Cool Bitz prog.....later gotz 'puters to heal: peace2: : peace2: :cheers:

Comment

Just installed tha Thermaltake Cu VGA cooler - now overclocking to 300/600, haven't pushed further yet. Gave me 3000 more points in 3DMark, and nearly doubled my UT2003 framerate.
                      :flames: :flames: :flames:

Those 'push pins' are the plastic ones that hold down the HS, right? There is a bit that sticks up out of those on mine which is like a center shaft holding it down. If you pull that out the support goes out of the bit sticking through the board and they just pull out.

Tho not the same with the new cooler, so yours might not be like that in the first place... use small pliers to squeeze them on the opposite side from the HS, and push them through. Too easy with those springs on them.

You really need to be sure your fan is working and that the HS is on the GPU properly. It shouldn't matter how much/little AS3 you use (yes it will make a difference in how it performs, but not as to wether it actually works or not).

I wouldn't recommend using the fan connector on the board either. If the plan is to overclock, then your MB may not be able to supply enough power when the fan is on the GC as well.

And if you are ever handling your board, try not to touch the gold pins on the AGP connector - that could be what fried your board if you sent a static charge down the GPU core. It happens people, beleive me I work with this stuff.

And try to stay on topic you guys. Exchange phone numbers or something...

:hammer:

Comment

This site www.rabidhardware.net has some interesting takes on modding your computer with thorough walk through.

Follow them at your own risk. :D

The have a how to: lapping

and How to build a silent PC

P.S. Just to C.M.A. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS SITES INTRUCTIONS!
                        :p

Comment

Originally posted by Rack1600
                          And try to stay on topic you guys.
                          We're supposed to stay on topic?!?! :confused:
                          Were is the fun in that?:cry:

Comment

Well, Excuse us but as this is a thread that was posted by
                            Malabooboo concerning changing his Gforce 4 fan, and all
                            post since seem to follow the problems some of us seem to be having in regards to same..........WE are on the frickin' topic. :wave: : peace2:

Comment

Yep, Malabooboo's call on this one as it is his thread after all. : peace2:

Comment

hey, all's fair game now--I'm done with my Video card mod

I just hope this thread helps someone else looking to do the same thing

...i've seen threads go off topic way more than this one :D

Comment

Working...
                                X