PCI or AGP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI or AGP question

Ok, I dont know much about hardware, thats why I am here.

I wanna buy a new card for my comp, my Voodoo is getting a little left behind :(

I was thinking about a Geforce 2 MX 64Mb but I only have a PCI slot I dont have any AGP slots!!!

I see the card advertised everywhere as AGP but never as PCI so can anyone tell me where I can get a PCI compatible version.

Like I said, I know this is a n00b question, but what they hey!

Oh my specs are as follows:

PIII 450
    320 Mb SDRAM
    40Gb HD
    Voodoo 5500 64MB PCI
    Creative Soundblaster 64v

and a whoopass cable modem :D

There are several manufacturers who make PCI versions of their Geforce cards. They just don't spend much money on advertising them. PNY - Inno3D - HIS - PixelView - VisionTek - Jaton and others make PCI solutions.
    And in reality, the PCI versions hold up fairly well to the performance of the AGP cards:)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

In a PCI format - I don't know that a GF2MX would give you much of a perfromance boost over a VooDoo5500

Maybe it's time for a new MB first.......

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
        In a PCI format - I don't know that a GF2MX would give you much of a perfromance boost over a VooDoo5500

Maybe it's time for a new MB first.......
        I realise that its just that WinXP doesnt support OpenGL on voodoo cards anymore, so I am forced to buy a compatible card.

I am dual booting XP and WinMe right now so that I can play OpenGL games on ME but it is a pain in the ass.

I am considering buying a new MotherBoard, I just need to see if it fits my budget to et the board and the card.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
          There are several manufacturers who make PCI versions of their Geforce cards. They just don't spend much money on advertising them. PNY - Inno3D - HIS - PixelView - VisionTek - Jaton and others make PCI solutions.
          And in reality, the PCI versions hold up fairly well to the performance of the AGP cards:)
          Powercolor & eVGA make PCI versions as well

what country are you trying to buy one in?

Comment

I am in the UK :D

Comment

Check out our latest range of graphics card and discover the difference they can make to your PC. Whether you love Nvidia or AMD we have one of the largest ranges in the UK from all the biggest and best manufacturers in the industry. Overclockers UK: your go-to resource for PC gaming.

I have no idea if that's a good price or not :confused:

Comment

Papamike - you should look into beta drivers for the Voodoo to get it running in XP rather than DOWNgrade to a GF2MX.

That VD5 5500 surely would be a sweet card to have!
                Onyx

TweakTown
                OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

The only sad fact is that even outsourced drivers won't work OpenGL. :(
                  <center> </center>

Comment

Originally posted by Onyx
                    That VD5 5500 surely would be a sweet card to have!
                    The card is very powerfull, however, games developers dont desin games with it in mind at all any more as it is now obsolete so as a result their are a lot of games that wwhile they still run on it they have severe performance issues.

And as is mentioned other drivers dont work. There are hacked drivers out there that claim to work and they do let me run games in OpenGL but they cause the system to crash all the time so they are no good to me!

Comment

IF you a looking for a decent PCI card (despite what everyone else says), then I'd go for Jaton. I've bought three videos cards made by them (GF2MX PCI, GF2MX AGP and GF3 AGP) and the cards are fantastic. I have had no probs with any of them at all. The PCI version of the GF2MX isn't quite as good as the AGP, but that's only if you pay close attention to detail, or you like benchmarks.... I've actually got the PCI card in a P2 450 at the moment (it's my mum's pc)... the AGP in a P3 700 and the GF3 in my Athlon 1.1.... and the Jaton cards seem to be cheaper than a lot of bigger brand names...

My 2 cents.. :)

BTW: Nice Sig pic.. :thumb: Did i see that at IpKonfig or some other forum?

Comment

Working...
                      X