Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• card for a Dell 500 mhz?

Hi
    I have a Dell Dimension xps T 500 and would like a new video card to boost up my games a bit. Can anyone recommend some cards, give me some links, Internet resources or anything else that might help me make a good choice.

Thanks, Marc

Here are my system specs;
    System profile:
    Computer Model
    BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
    BIOS Version
    BIOS Date 06/28/2000
    Case Type Unknown
    Windows Version 98
    Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000

Processors

Central Processor
    Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Product Name Pentium III processor
    Version Intel Pentium(R) III Processor
    External Clock Speed 100 Hz
    Maximum Clock Speed 1200 Hz
    Current Clock Speed 500 Hz

Memory

System memory with 3 slots - Placement: System board or motherboard
    DIMM: 128 Mb DRAM
    DIMM: 128 Mb DRAM
    DIMM: empty

Windows Memory/Resources
    Total Memory 261652 Kb
    Available Memory 944 Kb
    Page File Size 1835496 Kb
    Available Page File 1653336 Kb
    Virtual Memory 2093056 Kb
    Available Virtual Memory 1900864 Kb

Hardware (Built Into System)
    Type Description Enabled
    Video AGP Yes
    Sound AUDIO Yes
    Sound AUDIO Yes
    Sound AUDIO Yes

Hardware (Added On To System)
    Type Description Manufacturer

Disks
    Drive Type Drive Size Total
    Available
    Space User
    Available
    Space
    A:\ removable
    C:\ fixed 38168 Mb 32670 Mb 32670 Mb
    D:\ CD ROM 286 Mb 0 Mb 0 Mb

Boy, what a trip trying to get hardware info on your box at Dell's site. As a Dell owner, maybe you can log in and get more info than I could find. I am guessing that you might have a mobo with Intel's awful 810 chipset. If so, you can't disable the onboard video in order to upgrade. If you can get more info on the mobo, maybe I could be more specific.

Comment

Comment

Well, its not as bad as it might have been for you. The good news it that you have an AGP slot, so you can upgrade the video. The bad news is that the 2X slot won't support the latest and greatest in video cards. Your cpu is also a bottleneck for the fastest cards. One of the current budget cards will probably give you a significant boost though.Some of the now recently outdated cards might work well for a real bargin price. I have recently seen an Ati Radeon, 32mb DDR sell for $37us. I can't guess how any of the currently available cards will perform at AGP 2X, but most of what I have read suggests that the biggest performance boosts come from the card itself, rather than the AGP bus Capabilities. I would say to just shop for a deal, then verify on the manufacture's site that the part is fully compatabile with AGP 2X. Have fun gaming.

Comment

You will be able to put a GeForce 3 or 4 in that system, but it will be running at about 1/4th of its capability which means you will be wasting money. To be honest, there is no point upgrading video in that system, and slotting an AGP video card into a dell/gateway or any other extremely low quality integrated board (basically any OEM board) often causes problems. If you really feel you need a video card though, i would recommend a GeForce 2 MX400, or ATI radeon 7200. Anything over that and you are basically just throwing your money away, because that CPU/motherboard/Ram combination is a serious bottelneck, you would only be getting %25 performance out of any decent video card.

Comment

If I was in your shoes, with that setup, I would put the money towards a new motherboard. You wouldn't even need the latest and greatest to significantly increase your options. Good Luck!
            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Hey there.

I own a Dell XPS T 450 (upgraded to a PIII 600) and I was recently wondering the same question. I wanted to put something in my system aside from the TNT2 I was using. So, I went looking around, and it was hard to find a new card that was compatable with my 2x AGP slot. (it has to deal with the voltage and whatnot). I ended up going with the Raedon 8500 from www.newegg.com I know that my comp cant use all its power, but I wanted something that wouldnt be a bottleneck to my system (basically anything over a GF2)

I am quite happy with my choice, minus some problems with the drivers from ATI and their 2D performance (they seem to be fine after the latest revision of them) You can find a cheaper version (maybe an LE) and get some good results with it. I like my 8500 quite a bit. If you have any ?'s about it, feel free to write.

~Bugman

Comment

I have been using G4 Ti4200 on old BX board with agpx2 slot with great success.(P3-870Mhz ,G4Ti4200 64Mb gives 6592 points in 3D Mark 2001SE, Best score on its class regardless of agp speed!)

Also it seems that you can upgrade the cpu of your Dell as well.
                Slot 1 processors are rare and expensive but you might be able to use slot 1 adapter and Celeron as well.( like http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm )
                Only problem that I see is that your Dell's original PSU might not be powerfull enough.

Does the upgrading make sense? Thats for you to decide.

Andy

edit: link corrected

Comment

Working...
                X