"pixelation" problem when playing games. (ss's ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "pixelation" problem when playing games. (ss's ins

im not sure if this is a problem with my video card or my monitor, but it's a problem non the less. Some quick info first: im using a pny geforce4 ti4400 with the 29.42 detinator driver from the Nvidia website. i already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and card.

my problem is that when playing games, the graphics are screwy. It's like some the pixels are blurred or miscolored. Some pictures will provide a much better explanation of what im talking about:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

look at upper center and top right.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

upper center. the pixels that are off color are what i see in game. They arent stationary either, they are always flickering and more and less are appearing all the time. Rather annoying.

Now this is where the real fun starts. if i open up that previous page in internet explorer (blocks2.html), the above picture is what i see....but, if i drag the bottom nav bar back and forth a little, i eventually end up with this crap:

I see redness on the right. No clue what causes that to happen.

problem is obvious here, looks like tons of little white bugs crawling all over the wall. on the car as well.

Anywhere there's my problem, if it's not a graphics problem, but an issue with a monitor (or any other part of my computer), if anyone could forward me to an appropriate site it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, i have a second monitor...would switching monitors allow me to isolate the problem as either video or display problem?

Now that's usually what ya get when an overclock is gettin' too far. How well ventilated is your case? Throwing in the rest of the specs to your PC as well would be good. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

afaik, it's not being overclocked. all i did was put it in the case and install the software for it. i certainly did not do anything to purposely overclock it. How can i check to see if it's being overclocked?

the rest of my system:
      2 ghz P4
      768 MB DDR RAM
      20GB Hard Drive MT
      845 El Paso 2 motherboard
      running XP home edition

as for ventilation, I just have whatever fan came in the PC (it's a gateway) and the video card also has its own fan.

Comment

Well then there is your problem. You bought a Gateway.

Do whatever you can to get a refund, and then either build your own system, or get a Dell. Gateway is nearly out of business, and when they go under, no one will be there to replace your numerous hardware failures you will see in the next few years.

If you cannot get a refund from gateway, the best you can do is add alot of fans, and baby the computer forever. Not only is it junk, it is very fragile and unstable.

You should have read some reviews, for example, Consumer Reports magazine has not rated Gateway higher than last, or second to last for over two years. Good Luck.

Comment

If you have a "Name" brand PC then don't bother tryin' to upgrade as it always winds up bein' a failure or very expensive. :(
          Best to start plannin' on buildin' your own setup with exactly what ya want inside and leave the "Name" one as a backup. ;)

Comment

sigh, well i fail to see "it's a gateway, it's crap" reasoning as going to be able to help my problem...but thanks.

I have 2 other gateway computers, owned the first once since 1998, and the second since 2001, and they are both fine. The hard drive on one and i had to resintall windows on the other, but that's it.

i was going to originally bulld my own computer, but my parents bought me this computer for college. I'd be stupid not to accept it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comment

I'm not sayin' that they're crap but they are designed to work in one configuration and that is the configuration that they're sold in. Companies such as Gateway, Dell and other "Name" brands DO NOT WANT PPL CHANGING THINGS (unless you send it back to them) so they don't have to be called upon to troubleshoot anything but what they assembled which is why I tell ppl if they can't assemble there own to go to a good small PC store and get what they want from there as these then can be upgraded without the hassles of custom motherboards and BIOS's. :smokin:

Comment

IS there any possible way to get a refund?...or are you stuck...?
                Its cool that you Folks gotcha a computer and not taking or giving back gift is just rude you know...so don't see as bad thing...but if you explain to them the benefits on building your own rig and the downside or "name" brand computers...i believe they are bound to understand.: peace2:
                - Damien

Comment

I provided a solution in my first post.
                  the best you can do is add alot of fans

Comment

there's no way to take it back, cause it's been opened and used.

About fans...would i add more or just replace the fans in their now with better ones? It looks like it has 3 fans (2 fans and one on video card) right now.

Comment

He really meant case fans not including the ones on the HSF, vid card or PSU and sometimes mobo chipset. ;)
                      Usually ya have one intake fan low in the front panel and sometimes another in the rear just above the vid card suckin' hot air out or a position made for one to which a fan is easily added. If ya add another intake fan to the side panel blowin' over the vid card and another in the top panel suck more hot air out ya'll have near perfect case ventilation though both these require a hole cut into the panels and mountin' holes drilled. It just could be that your vid card is gettin' too hot because of the lack of air circulation. :smokin:

Comment

It just could be that your vid card is gettin' too hot because of the lack of air circulation.
                        Yup, That is very likely what it is.

Comment

yea buying a brand name PC i supposed to give u peace of mind and convenience having it built for u and suppsedly a reliable warranty...gateway packing it bags in australia seems to confirm the opposite:cheers:

Comment

Realjones I've heard a few reports lately on some Gainward cards and it seems that they had a bad lot of RAM which was causin' this problem and maybe yours as well. :smokin:

Comment

Maybe you could try the 30.30 beta drivers? It could be a graphic problem that needs to be fixed with updated drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X