Need some help with BF2 performane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with BF2 performane

I have an ATI X800XL AGP, AMD XP 2800, and Corsair 1 gig ram. I'm running BF2 at 4X AA and 4X AF (through the texture filtering option). I run mostly at medium and some options on high, and it looks and runs good. But, whatever I do, I can't set dynamic shadows to anything above off or my FPS will dip to low 30s in heavy action scenes, which is unacceptable to me. I tried loweing everything to medium, then setting shadows to low, but it still dips to low 30s. It runs great in single player if i have almost everything on high but some on medium, but in multiplayer the fps is just unaccpetable. I know I'm being limited by my CPU here, but I would really like to have dynamic shadows on.

Re: Need some help with BF2 performane

what resolution? Did you try turning off AA?
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

1024x768. Turning off aa would make it look like a 3 year old game.

Comment

How many processes does it say are running when you open up task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)?

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again... My system was virtually identical similar to the one in your signature, except it had less RAM, and I easily got over 30FPS consistently with it at 1280x960 with everything but Textures on the highest settings. The 6800GT I upgraded didn't change that (just gave me higher framerates), but once I get more RAM It'll be playable with all settings highest.

For the record, it doesn't look that bad without AA. Try with just 2x and see how much that helps.

Comment

14. Are you playing without AA? I could play all settings highest except textures without AA too, except I like AA. I highly doubt that a few processes can affect FPS by much.http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
          Last edited by Eaglee; 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I play without AA, and it looks fine to me. I dont expect much fps with AA on.

Comment

Well that is your opinion. I can't stand the jagginess of no AA, espicially at the res I play at. I can't raise it either, my monitor can't handle anything higher than 1024x768.

Comment

yea it is my opinion, and i forgot that you were running that resolution. Yea that can get pretty nasty at that resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglee
                  14. Are you playing without AA? I could play all settings highest except textures without AA too, except I like AA. I highly doubt that a few processes can affect FPS by much.http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
                  I played with 4x AA and still do.

A few processes can affect it, depending on what processes they are. A few processes that come with Windows aren't going to do much, but if you have installed programs that run while you game they can have a huge effect. The RAM usage specifically is the problem, though anything that actually has a priority higher than Idle can have a huge effect, to.

Comment

The only program I sometimes have running is Xfire. I tested with it on and off and I can't tell any difference.

Comment

Well how many running processors are there when you open up Task Manager? More importantly, what's your commit charge when you open up Task Manager?

Comment

16 processes and 141m commit charge.

Comment

It could be the RAM usage. I suppose 141mb isn't that bad, but I have less than 100MB when I start up BF2, and it's incredibly RAM-hungry. Then again, I also have less RAM than you. Also, 16 processes isn't bad at all. I'll have 11 running before I game (counting Task Manager).

I guess the last thing I haven't mentioned is overclocking. I don't remember, but there's a good chance I was overclocking before I played back when I was still using my 9800 Pro. I don't think I was, but it's a possibility.

Comment

Here's a thought: I turned off the software AA and turned on my hardware AA. That helped reduce some lag. Try completely turning off the AA and using your hardware AF (anisotropic filtering) around 4 or 8x. I've used modified drivers for ATI, I think they were NGO, and that helped a bit.

Comment

i have a 3.2 ghz omputer overclocked to 3.62 and 1 gb ram 202gb hard drive the x800xl and it laggs a little during BF2 and how do i turn AA AND AF ON

Comment

Working...
                              X