X800XL just won't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X800XL just won't fit

've got a strange problem. I just got an ATI X800XL AGP 256mb and it just won't fit in my AGP slot. I'm using my 9800pro right now I have an Nforce2 mobo, its fully capable of AGP, and my 9800pro obviously fits just fine. I'm pretty sure the X800XL is AGP, it has AGP stickers all over it and says "AGP 8/4X compatible". But on the large section of the gold thing that goes in (you know what I'm talking about) doesn't have the cut on the mdidle of it. The card has 3 sections that go in, the one on the left which is big, the one next to it which is slightly smaller, and the half square thing next to it. On my 9800pro and really old FX5200 there is a small cut down the middle of the largest section, dividing it into 2 parts. There's no such thing on the X800XL. The right section of the board goes in fine, but the left just doesn't want to go in. WTF?

Re: X800XL just won't fit

I've never had a problem with a card not having a "cut" in the middle of the largest piece of the connector. Aer you sure it is not interfering with a different part of the mobo
    ?

Comment

The only thing similar I've heard of is with the older versions of AGP, but that's certainly not the case if both card and board support AGP 4x.

Comment

The cutouts of the AGP slot have to do with voltage capabilities of the mainboard. Check out the documentation of the mainboard and the video card. It is possible that the mainboard puts out 3.3v to the AGP bus and the video card requires no more than 1.5v or it will fry.

If this isn't the case, then pictures may be in order.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

If its the rig in your signature, that shouldn't be a problem though, nForce2 is fully AGP 4x/8x compliant

Comment

The mobo manual has no info on the volts, the only thing about AGP is this "One AGP:1)AGP3.0 8X interface at 533Mb/s.
            2)Supports AGP 2X ,4X,8X."

I think I'm just not pushing hard enough on it.
            Last edited by Eaglee; 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Well it shouldn't take a hard shove to get it in, just a firm push, and nothing more. As I said earlier, are you sure the card is not coming in contact with something else on the mobo to keep it from going in?

Comment

I managed to get it working. The back panel of the card was somewhat twisted which didn't allow me to insert it. Now I have another problem

AA or AF doesn't seem to be working. The edges of textures aren't smooth. I tried cat 5.10 and 5.6, and some older ones. The 5.10 and 5.6s didn't have good AA or af, and the older ones didn't install at all, I guess they are too old.

Comment

Well "the back panel of the card somewhat twisted" is probably all you need to know to solve your current problem. If it is not the cause of the current issue, it may bring some later ones up. I would try RMA'ing it.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2005
                    Well "the back panel of the card somewhat twisted" is probably all you need to know to solve your current problem. If it is not the cause of the current issue, it may bring some later ones up. I would try RMA'ing it.
                    No, it works fine. Turned out that BF2 doesn't like AA or AF being set from the CP, and its better to do it in game.

Comment

Well I could've told ya that :)

Comment

Re: X800XL WELL I DONT REALLY KNOW HOW TO POST ON THIS PAGE BUT I

I HAVE A PROBLEM with my x800xl it laggs alotin BF2 idk y.whats FPS mean and is lower numbers better than higher and also WHATS AA AND THE OTHER A THING MEAN IAM CONFUSED PLZ HELP ME

Comment

whats quick reply

Comment

stick to your own thread..
                            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                            SC: Audigy 2 zs
                            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
                            X