6800 or 6800GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800 or 6800GT

So this past Saturday I went to Best Buy to pick up the 6800GT, which was out of stock. So being that I am an impatient geek, I went ahead and purchased the 6800 128MB version for 100 less than the GT. I like the performance of the plain 6800, but it is only 100 more for the 256 MB GT with a higher bandwidth for memory. So my dilemna is this, Best Buy now has the card in stock, and I could return the plain 6800 for the GT and pay the 100 difference. Should I take it back....Would "you" take it back for the GT and would it make that much of a difference to have 256mb of memory?

Re: 6800 or 6800GT

It will make a huge difference in some current and many upcoming games. Doom 3 really taks advantage of the extra memory, and Half-Life 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. probably will, too. Plus, it's a faster card anyway.

However, it really depends whether or ot the performance is worth the extra money. What system do you have now? If your current system can't take advantage of the GT, there's no point in upgrading that.

Comment

Well as a matter of fact I am waiting on my 2500 XP-M to come by FEDEX, and I will be installing it on a MSI -K7N2 Delta-L. I have 1 GB of Kingmax PC 4000 memory, which is currently installed, but not heavily used because I have an 2000+ XP in the system. Basically I will be gutting my system because it will be a while before I get a chance to upgrade again.

Comment

Some games will be held back by the 2500 too much, but Doom 3, if nothing else, will make use of the GT. If you OC it to 2.3-2.8GHz, then you'll easily handle the card. Go for it if the cost doesn't bother you.

A couple things though... Will Best Buy actually take it back for no reason? Last time I tired that with something at Best Buy they wouldn't take it back... Also, waht kind of prices do they have on the cards at Best Buy? No more than $290 for the regular and no more than $450 for the GT or you're getting ripped off.

Comment

Yawgm0th I appreciate the earlier input because like I said, I am impatient. So I went back to best buy and low and behold they had the 256 OPEN BOX!!! At best buy an open box = lower price and I picked up the GT for only 360!!! Great timing if you ask me, so now I have what I wanted in the first place for less!!! And although I am consistenly unhappy with the service at best buy, they did let me exchange without too much problem today. Bring on the pain Doom 3!!!

Comment

A GT for 360? Damn, that's pretty good. I don't care if it OCes like ****, you can't get that kind of performance for $360.

Comment

I so agree. Plus once I get to overclocking the 2500 mobile, I will be in some serious fat gaming heaven. Plus, I can tell you that while the 6800 plain jane model has some serious memory overclocking potential, I had some serious stability problems running it at 875 mhz vs 700 stock. I could only get 10 mhz out of the core. I can tell while benchmarking Doom 3 with demo1 that I am now cpu limited with the 2000+ with the 266 fsb. So once all my components come in, I will be sure to post my findings then.

Comment

Are you using RAM faster than PC3200 with that mobile? If so, I'd suggest you look at these:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

A good overclocking motherboard and the L12 wire mod can bring that thing anywhere between 2.3 and 2.8 GHz, depending on the RAM and cooling. That's better than a low-end A64 and most P4s. Combined with the GT, that'll be an insane gaming system.

Comment

I bought the Kingmax Hard Core series PC 4000

I hoped that by eliminating the memory as a limiting factor, that I would be able to maximze my oc with the 2500+

Comment

PC4000 and the wire mod should go you well over 200FSB, which means awesome performance. If you have some good cooling that will help a lot, too. It will bascially be your limiting factor, in this case.

Comment

Working...
                    X