"best card"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "best card"

What do you all consider the "best" nvidia card for gaming that has a TV out port?

Windows XP home
    Pent III
    512 MB Ram
    Intel integrated Audio

Nvidia fx5900-5950. But for your system..i don't think its going to keep up with the cards. You should look into upgrading that first
    :cheers:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by vrex
      What do you all consider the "best" nvidia card for gaming that has a TV out port?

Windows XP home
      Pent III
      512 MB Ram
      Intel integrated Audio
      Firstly do ya even have an AGP slot on that mobo? :?:
      Secondly I don't really think that there'd be much point in you goin' any higher than a GF4 Ti series card in that setup if ya do have an AGP slot.
      But do get back to us with better hardware details like speed of CPU and motherboard make and model.

Comment

either the Radeon 9800Xt either the FX5950Ultra are the best graphic cards in the market right now... well off course they're also the most expensive... :smokin: if u got money u can have everythin right? : party ha

Comment

I take it from the setup that its not a game machine, so anything like a 5800+ or 9700+ is a bit silly, as for the cost you could get a decent motherboard, CPU and ram (and probably a cheap video card to).

Be carefull of the new FX 5700Ultra Cards- the TV out is apprently dodgy on Albatron cards, and isn't great on any of them. But considering that you've got a P3 550, its probably not the best idea to get one of them anyhow. (Still to much money)

I would get a cheap FX (5200/ 5600XT/ 5600) if you just wanted to hook it up to a TV, or maybe even look at a cheap ATI card, as I have heard (but never seen) that they have better TV out.

You also might want to be carefull, as the modern AGP cards might have a problem in your board, depending on the chipset.

Comment

Wait a minute here, where does he say what speed his pIII is? For all we know it could be anywhere between 450 and 1400. We don't even know system specs.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
            seagate sataII 500gb
            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
            samsung sata dvd-rw
            2x1024 ocz black
            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
              Wait a minute here, where does he say what speed his pIII is? For all we know it could be anywhere between 450 and 1400. We don't even know system specs.
              Or if he even has an AGP port, he could be usin' an i810 mobo with a PIII 450.

Comment

Even if it was a PIII 1400MHz, it wouldn't justify anything faster than a Ti4200 IMO.

Soppa

Comment

Even if it was a PIII 1400MHz, it wouldn't justify anything faster than a Ti4200 IMO.
                  Where do people get these ideas from? Ok I got a question for you. How about a p4 1.7 or 1.8? What card would you say is justifyable for that?
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  bfg 6800gt
                  samsung dvdrw
                  mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Where do people get these ideas from? Ok I got a question for you. How about a p4 1.7 or 1.8? What card would you say is justifyable for that?
                    The simple fact (backed up by benchmarking) is that if your processor (and maybe memory) is too slow, the powerful video card is bottlenecked by the processor and thus you won't gain much performance. I, for one, cannot justify purchasing a 400$ video card if all you gain is like 5fps in games. The only real gain that comes is the ability to use more sophisticated features (for example DX9 based) of the card, and even them are probably wasted because the game won't run well enough to enjoy them. Your powerful video card will just be sitting there and waiting for instructions on what to do since the processor is lacking behind. In fact it's generally more useful to have more powerful processor than the other way around. A good setup is a balanced one. And to answer your question, my answer for a Ti4200 is just a personal estimate based on my experience with computer tweaking and by no means is it a perfect answer, just trying to help the person who asked the question by giving a somekind of estimate. For a p4 1.7 or 1.8 of course a more powerful card would be in order, I'd probably go with some DX9 based card, maybe a 9600XT or even a 9700pro. IMHO the guy should update his other hardware, ie. processor, mobo & memory first, but if he insists on buying a new video card, Ti4200 would be absolute maximum IMHO.

Now to give you some more concrete info: I used to have a Athlon 1GHz (100FSB, eff. 200) coupled with a ATI rage pro 32MB and I scored about 4000 3dmarks (sorry, using a synthetic benchmark as I can't remember any other examples), IIRC actually less than that. Then I updated my video card to Ti4200 and of course I was waiting for a significant gain only to be disappointed that I could score around 6500. What I learned was that my processor was severely lagging behind and after updating my mobo/memory and processor (NF7, 2500+, DDR400) I could easily without any tweaking score in excess of 10000points. Probably people here could give more specific and informative answers than I, but I'm sure most agree with this point: if the setup isn't balanced you're wasting your hardware! : )

Soppa

Comment

Well stated Soppa, and welcome to TweakTown :cheers:
                      I agree that it's a waste to have a powerful video card without the system to back it up. It just makes you unhappy with the card...and the signifigant amount of cash you're out now...

Comment

What I am concerned about is the misconception that p4 is faster than pIII. When in fact, the p4 needs about 300-400mhz higher clockspeed just to be even with a pIII with sdram. Most people have this misconception, but in the real world, it is just not true. So saying "of course a more powerful card is in order" for a p4 1.7-1.8 and saying "Even if it was a PIII 1400MHz, it wouldn't justify anything faster than a Ti4200 IMO." are both very misleading and backwards statements. When in fact the pIII 1.4 performs better with the same gfx card than a p4 1.8. And what's wrong with a 11k 3d '01 score anyway?
                        When I first asked the question about the p4, I already knew what the response would be.
                        asus a7n8xe-dlx
                        bfg 6800gt
                        samsung dvdrw
                        mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                        seagate sataII 500gb
                        samsung sata dvd-rw
                        2x1024 ocz black
                        ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

What I am concerned about is the misconception that p4 is faster than pIII. When in fact, the p4 needs about 300-400mhz higher clockspeed just to be even with a pIII with sdram.

When I first asked the question about the p4, I already knew what the response would be.
                          Nice, you set up a trap for me, and at the same time conveniently forgot about what this post was all about, well good for you. I haven't toyed around much with pentiums so naturally I also had this misconception. But that still doesn't change the fact that a really powerful video card for his machine (which BTW likely is something much less powerful as the suggested P3 1400MHz), would be an overkill. I gave him sound advice, and what you succeeded in doing was to make me look stupid, which I assume was your intention in the first place. I already had forgotten why I don't frequent these forums. Thanks for the reminder again.

Soppa

Comment

Originally posted by Wordbiker
                            Well stated Soppa, and welcome to TweakTown :cheers:
                            I agree that it's a waste to have a powerful video card without the system to back it up. It just makes you unhappy with the card...and the signifigant amount of cash you're out now...
                            Thanks for making me feel welcome and :cheers: to you too. Although I fear that I won't become even a regular member anytime soon ;). Well I don't mind the newbie status.

Soppa

Comment

I in no way intended to insult you, it's just that I see people with pIII's being told that they need to upgrade to enjoy the "newest fastest gfx cards" and being told that their cpu is totally slow compared to p4's like the ones I mentioned and being tricked usually by a store into a $1000(example)downgrade (I have seen this practice lots before, heck they even try it on me) and sure a pIII 450 is pathetic compared to modern standards and would warrant such an upgrade to get any reasonable use from something like a r9700 or r9800series but that is absolute worst case scenario. Basically I would consider a pIII above 1000mhz to still be worthy for any gfx card on the market now. It only makes sense to upgrade gfx first whenever possable, if it was the last step in upgrading, that p4 3.2 would really suck with a tnt and be unbearable until the new gfx card(example).

There are many misconceptions with computers and most are caused by misleading marketing tactics and down right lies to sell some things. Look at the 4x/8x agp issue, I have sat there and listened to many salesmen lie to a customers and say it will perform twice as fast as their old 4x version of the same card claiming a 100% increase(they still get away with this). How many people ran out and bought a new mobo and 8x version of their old card to get this suposed 100% increase in gfx performance. I can think of about 5 people that did just that.:cheers:
                              asus a7n8xe-dlx
                              bfg 6800gt
                              samsung dvdrw
                              mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                              seagate sataII 500gb
                              samsung sata dvd-rw
                              2x1024 ocz black
                              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Working...