Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ddr-1 & Ddr-2

What's the difference?

I don't know much about it, but it provides higher clocks and more bandwidth. :2cents:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Basically what DDRII will offer over DDR.
      1/Performance/Bandwidth Improvements
      2/Cost Improvements
      3/Power Reduction Improvements

Comment

Die shrink, .11 micron vs .18 micron or so.

Allows higher clocks at lower volts, and higher density (can pack in more memory in the same size chip).

Comment

ok, so the differences are all positive, that's basically all I needed to know :)

Comment

When is DDR II going to come out as system RAM? J/w

Comment

Sometime around early mid-year so far.

Comment

DDR2 boards are coming in April....so I would hope memory makers have stuff ready by then.

Comment

Wow, thx alot for the info. Seems that there's going to be quite the little revolution in computing by May, among PCI-Express, DDR2, BTX, and 64-bit Windows coming out. Anyways, thx again, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

hold on, now I have another question...every single thread i've read that brings up the debate of buying a 128MB card vs a 256MB card, someone chimes in that the memory on the 256 meg card is slower and doesn't perform as well as the 128 memory, do these people have any facts to back it up or are they just saying stuff that their dad's friend's buddy who knows someone at Best Buy said?

Comment

256mb RAM cards memory is clocked slower

Comment

That was the case with GF4's (64MB vs. 128MB) but if ya look ATi based Pro and XT cards the 256MB versions are clocked at the same rate as the 128MB versions. I don't know about nVIDIA's current line atm though.

Comment

Some of the cards are even clocked a little higher (usually about 10mhz). However, it's only to make up for extra latency that DDR2 has over normal DDR.

Comment

so if there is a latency increase in DDR2 chips, then how are they considered better in performance over DDR 1 chips?

Comment

Because DDRII will be able to run at speeds that's impossible for DDR to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X