Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5950 256MB Overheat?

Hello Everyone,

I am glad to say that I just bought a BFG Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB videocard. The graphics are awesome, but the only problem I am having is overheating. When my computer is idle the GPU temp is at 44*C and then during game play it reaches 100*C which is way too high. When I run Aquamark or 3Dmark03 the temp reaches 120*C. I know this sounds like BS, but really the temps actually get that hot.

I do not know what the problem could be. I have great air flow through my system (5 case fans). I am not overclocking the GPU. I am not overclocking in general. I was using a 5600 256MB card which the temps never went over 70*C. Don't understand?!

Any suggestion or comment will greatly be appreciated.

my system:
    XP Pro
    2500+ XP Barton
    Asus A7V333 BIOS 1008
    BFG GFFX 5950 Ultra 256MB
    768MB OCZ PC2700
    Audigy 2 ZS

Actually, I believe that temps like that are normal for the FX5900's and the high-end FX's

Comment

ditto. Also, rely more on what you see. If there are no artifacts, no glitches, jumps etc in your games are benchmarks, then I wouldnt worry too much about the #'s. When you start seeing hiccups, etc., then you worry :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

These temps can't be right... I did some research and found someone elses card's max temp reached 77-80*C during gameplay.

The threshold for the GPU is 140*C, but I can tell the my card trips out when the temp reaches 115*C. during gameplay. My graphics starts skip and my fps begins to drop.

I have enabled the heat indicator warning so I don't catch on fire, and the indicator pops up saying my card gets too hot, and the GPU speed is lowered for safety reasons. I can get about 15mins of gameplay before the indicator appears.

I will try to reinstall the card and the driver just to see if this could solve something. I will remove all my PCI cards that are near it as well. I will let you guys know what the outcome is.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!!!!
        Quick replies too!!!

Comment

Remove the GPU cooler, and clean it off, and apply some AS3 or something of the like

Comment

Thats going to take me some time because I am constantly on the computer. I will give it a try though I got some extra AS3.

Thanks for the advice.

I will let you know the outcome.
            I email BFG tech also. we will see what they say.

Comment

Everyone and there 500$ dollar card, how is that beauty performing? :confused:
              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
              SC: Audigy 2 zs
              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

It could also be that ya case's airflow isn't good enough to disapate the heat bein' generated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  It could also be that ya case's airflow isn't good enough to disapate the heat bein' generated.
                  I'd say that's most likely the problem if you havn't modded the stock cooling solution.

Comment

I don't think its my case's air flow. I have 5 case fans. 3 are intakes and 2 are exhaust. I have a thermaltake silent boost with ducting mod with AS3 for my CPU. Vantec chipset fans. Two exhaust fans for the power supply.

I am going to rearrange my PCI card for better circulation and try to add some AS3 to the GPU.

I will give it a try tommorow morning.

Everyone and there 500$ dollar card, how is that beauty performing?

It is a awesome card. I use to have a 5600 256MB card and a TI 4600 these card can even come close! Nor can my brothers ATI 9800 Pro 256MB!

Although it is a little hard to tell the difference with the 5950 and the 9800 pro. I can just say that Nvidia's picture quality is better in COD than ATI.

Comment

Sounds like you're having a good time. Yes, the FX is a faster card with most games, but once we hit DX9 stuff, you're out of luck. nVidia's image quality is also a little better than ATi's, but turn on AA and AF and wham, ATi beats nVidia easy.

Still, if all you need to do is play Call of Duty, then you're fine. :)

Comment

Sounds like you're having a good time. Yes, the FX is a faster card with most games, but once we hit DX9 stuff, you're out of luck. nVidia's image quality is also a little better than ATi's, but turn on AA and AF and wham, ATi beats nVidia easy.
                        I beg to differ. My brother has an Abit N7F-S with a 2800+ Barton. He is using an ATI 9800 Pro 256MB card. We did some tests like 3Dmark and Aquamark, my system vs his system. My computers CPU benchmark is slower but I beat his GPU benckmarks. I didn't beat it by much but Nvidia beat it out by a couple of points using AA and AF as well. I think nvidia has the upper hand.

Thanks amd_man2003!!!!!

When I removed the fan and heat plate I found that the memory had sufficient thermal paste, but the GPU had a really thin layer. I used the rest of my AS3 on my GPU and a little more on the memory. W00H00!!! That did it now when I run benchmarks or games my max temperture is 73*C - 77*C. No more slow downs or problems.

NOW FOR SOME HARDCORE GAMING!!!
                        COD, ROTK, HALO, CS, UT2004, HL2, NFS, JEDIs, MAXP, MATRIX, and a lot more!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies and comments!!!

Comment

Well, every system is different. It could be your drivers were better/worse, your version of Windows was optimized better, etc.. Still, I'll admit that they're very close when it comes to performance - though the 9800 XT beats pretty much everything right now.

Oh, and did you try comparing Halo benchmarks at full details and high resolution? I think you'll see the ATi card ahead of the nVidia one.

Comment

tested systems:

Number 1 (Bro's)
                            XP Pro
                            2800+ Barton
                            Abit N7F-S
                            512MB Corsiar PC3200
                            160GB WD
                            SONY CDROM
                            LiteON 52x24x52
                            ATI 9800 PRO 256MB
                            Audigy 2 ZS

Number 2 (mine)
                            XP Pro
                            2500+ Barton
                            Asus A7V333
                            768 OCZ PC2700
                            2x 60GB WD RAID 0
                            SONY CDROM
                            TDK 48x24x48
                            BFG Geforce FX 5950 256MB
                            Audigy 2 ZS

3Dmark Results

1024*768 NO AA/AF
                            Number 1: 5920
                            Number 2: 6093

1024*768 4AA/8AF
                            Number 1: 2834
                            Number 2: 2763

1024*768 NO AA/AF
                            Aquamark3
                            Number 1: 41.5 FPS
                            Number 2: 44.2 FPS

1024*768 3AA/8AF
                            Aquamark3
                            Number 1: 32.1 FPS
                            Number 2: 31.3 FPS

My score indicate that Nvidia beats ATI up by a little. That is probably why ATI came out with their 9800XT and soon their 9800NP. Like in the past years Nvidia is a company that doesn't like to be second they will come out with something else.

I think that both companies need to come out with better drivers. And games need to be written better for these cards (like Halo).

Will post more Benchmarks here if I can get a hold of some other software.

Comment

Speaking of Halo, in the next patch they've managed to come up with a new way of using the shaders...it shows a 30-50% boost on all setups.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that the 5950 was that fast. I've seen bechmarks, but in most cases, the 9800 Pro 256 beat it nearly every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X