Question about overclocking card..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about overclocking card..

I recently downloaded the Rage3Dtweak tool for my radeon 9800 pro. I was looking around adjusting the settings and came across the overclocker. It then had on there the core clock and memory clock. The core was 378.00 mhz and the memory 337.50 mhz. These are the default settings on my system. I this good? I've had some problems getting low scores on 3DMark2003, like in the 6,000 range and an avergae fps of about 85 on games. What exactly do these do and what are the benefits and risks of increasing them? :shrug: Any help for a noob is appreciated.:cheers:

My system:
    2.4 ghz, pentium 4, 512 mb PC2700 ram, radeon 9800 pro 128 mb

Also, what is a good program for monitoring the temperature of my cpu and compnents? If I overclock what is a safe temperature to try and keep it at? Thanks.

Benefits, better performancew

Risks, frying your card if not done in moderation

Also, thats not a low 3dmark03 score

So realy, as long as you up it slowly, and run some becnhmarks after about every 10mhz increase and its not too hot, you can always up it more. When it gets to a point in which ya get artifacts, or a blank screen, you need to back off on the OC.

Comment

I'd suggest 5MHz steps and not 10MHz steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        I'd suggest 5MHz steps and not 10MHz steps.
        Fair 'nuff ;)

Comment

so for slight overclocks like that no extra cooling is required? And how can I monitor the temperature? thanks for your help.: peace2:

Comment

If the card has hardware monitorin' then it should've been supplied with a utility to access it but if not then some hardware like the CompuNurse will be needed.

Comment

will overclocking the card have anything to do with my system temperature? because I have speedfan for that....What would be a good temperature to keep it at? It runs now at an internal temperature of 38 degrees Celcius. I dont think my card has a hardware monitoring feature.... thanks for your help.

Comment

OC'in the card will obviously increase it's heat output, but I doubt to any great significants.

Also, when your working out what to OC it to, remember that too much will cause glitching in games, and decreased stability.

As for monitoring temps, Mobo Monitor 5 works well. A bit of messin around to set it up though.

Comment

thanks for all the help guys.:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                  X