Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! My PC consumes graphics cards at an alarming rate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My PC consumes graphics cards at an alarming rate...

I bought my Medion desktop PC about 9 months ago (basic spec info below). Since upgrading the modest Geforce4 MX420 graphics card it came supplied with, I've had nothing but trouble with the replacement cards.

First up was an Albatron GeForce4 Ti4280 (128MB). It lasted about 6 weeks before the boot-up screen began to scramble and strange specs of colour began appearing on the Windows XP desktop. When I ran 3DMark, there were lots of weird blue dots everywhere and the dragon sequence caused the PC to crash.

I took the Albatron back to the store and it was replaced with an "equivalent" ASUS GeForce4 Ti4200 (128MB). This card gave sterling service for nearly 6 months before the same problems re-occured with it. When I took the ASUS back to the store, it was suggested I had been very unlucky and the ASUS card would be sent to the manufacturer for repair. This could take 6 weeks. I blew the dust of the MX420 (again) and waited in eager anticipation of the ASUS's return. Almost 7 weeks later it eventually returned from repair (what they repaired is anyone's guess) and it seemed to be working perfectly again - until 2 weeks later. Once again, the tell tale breakup of the boot-up screen, flecks of colour on the XP desktop and bizarre blue dots appearing all over the place in Medal Of Honour.

I took the ASUS back to the store and demanded a replacement, I wasn't waiting another 6-7 weeks for a repair. The store agreed and now I have an "equivalent" Jetway GeForce FX 5600 (128MB) however, I suspect if this one packs in, the store will tell me to get lost next time I go back.

I'm very confused and worried about these failures. I'm not brave or knowledgeable enough to do anything to my PC that could provoke these occurances (i.e. overclocking, etc) and my PC has a fairly easy life. It's used primarily in the evenings and at weekends as a games machine and to process my digital photographs. I do play a lot of Battlefield 1942, Quake3 and Medal Of Honour - I like "full detail" thankyouverymuch and the PC casing can get quite hot - however there is plenty of ventilation around the PC and there are two empty slots below the graphics card. In any case, the store said both cards had suffered RAM chip failures and apparently they don't even get hot.

What's also strange is that the little MX420 card has exhibited none of the above problems either during it's initial pre-upgrade service or whenever it's recalled into action for one of it's knackered bigger brothers. I'M TEMPTED JUST TO LEAVE IT IN NEXT TIME!

The store has suggested that if the Jetway packs in, I should consider looking at the power supply in my PC as perhaps it isn't capable of handling the larger, more demanding graphics cards. I also leave my PC on all night as that's when my virus scanning software and Windows updates are scheduled to run.. I wondered if this wouldn't help matters? Do I sound like a desperate man clutching at straws? Good, because I am.

Does anyone have any experiences, suggestions, or words of comfort? I'll happily provide more information about my system if required - but bear in mind I'm not a dabbler, meddler or a tweaker. If it's too complicated, I won't understand so please be patient with me!

The likely prob is poor case airflow and the heat build up within' is killin' the cards.

Comment

Can I modify/improve the airflow through the casing or should I scrap the casing? I thought about leaving some of the expansion slot covers off but my mate (who is a thermo-analysist) told me not to touch it as I'd probably make it worse! Is it really true that running a PC with the cover off can actually make some components run even hotter? I guess he should know....

Comment

My thoughts too. The GF4MX probably wouldn't get as hot as the other cards would. One thing to try is get some decent PC ventilation happening. Also, do you know what temperature your CPU runs at when you've been gaming for a while?

Comment

Taking off the side panel will let your system breathe, as opposed to being choked. It's the same concept with side fans.

Out of curiosity, how hot does your FX5600 get? It has an on die probe like CPUs do and the readings can be found in your display settings for the card. Find the idle and the max while running a game.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions.... Unfortunately, I don't know how to obtain the information regarding the running temperature of the graphics card and the processor.. I told you I was a dimwit (despite having worked with computers for the last 15 years..)

Comment

there are programs out there that tell you all the temps.
              One is Motherboard Monitor, or MBM for short. I personally use www.hmonitor.com
              Also RE; what was said above.
              If you take you side off, and the temps go down, you need more air flow through the case, AKA FANS.
              If they go up, that means that you have good flow :thumb:
              W.o knowing the temps, its hard to tell if you should take the side off, cuz if you have enough flow, you would be making things worse.

Another thing is the PSU. What kind is it?
              that could be the culprit, but ya never know.

Comment

I will download the motherboard monitor program right now...

By PSU do you mean processor? The only info I know how to obtain about the processor is from the System Info which says I have an "x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~ 2526 Mhz" ??!!

Comment

PSU is Power Supply (Unit)

Comment

Okay, I've whipped the side cover off and the label on the PSU says:

FSP GROUP INC
                    FORTRON/SOURCE
                    MODEL No: FSP250-60MDN-120(1)

There's a whole load of other stuff about voltages and wattage etc...

There are also a couple of stickers:

W/NOISE KILLER

and

W/PFC

I'm downloading 3D Mark at the moment, I'll run it with the cover an and off to see if it makes any difference to temperature.

At idle, cover on, my readings are:

Mainboard 36 degC
                    CPU1 41 degC
                    HDD1 37.0

Cooling Fan (power) 4066rpm

Volatages
                    +12V (+11.73) +5V (+5.06) Core (+1.417V) I/O (3.33V)
                    -12V (-11.71V) -5V (-5.00V)

Comment

Wow I really hope that core voltage is incorrect...actually it has to be, your computer would have crashed long ago if it was only getting 1.417v when it needs 1.525v.

Also, MBM will not get you the temps of your video card. Those are in your display settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                        Wow I really hope that core voltage is incorrect...actually it has to be, your computer would have crashed long ago if it was only getting 1.417v when it needs 1.525v.

Also, MBM will not get you the temps of your video card. Those are in your display settings.
                        Theres no such settings in my FX5600 properties either. Where are you finding them? Ive gotr the Det45's

Comment

There is a tab for it......maybe yours doesn't have that feature? Try installing Coolbits?

Comment

Already have and use Coolbits, this is what I get

Comment

Looks like your card doesn't have the feature. I know it is not 5900 only, as I have seen a user with a 5600 talking about the temperatures reported on that tab.

Here's mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X