Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a video card cause a puter to shutdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a video card cause a puter to shutdown?

After spending countless hours to get my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to work, it seems that it has sparked a new problem.

For no reason, my machine shuts itself down now. No goodbyes, not nothing, just a POWERDOWN. Other symptoms is a restart. Out of the blue, my computer will restart as if I pressed the reset button on the front of my computer.

Running XP, MSI mobo. Solid system.

what power supply are you using as the 9700P needs a lot of juice to work properly :?:

Comment

Powerglide 350 watt. I heard that might not be enough... ?

Comment

My AIW 9700 Pro has no problem with my Antec TruePower 330W PSU...
        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Can we get the complete spec of your system ?

P.S. My old ATI 7500 would restart my computer when I started Unreal 2 !!!
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Thanks for your help here guys...:thumb:

Athlon 1600+ CPU
            MSI KT4V mobo with 1.48 Via 4in1 drivers and latest bios
            Micron PC2700 512Mb
            DirectX 9.0a
            XP Pro (fully updated)
            ATI Radeon 9700 pro w/Catalist & Ctrl panel v.3.5
            Decent Logitech mouse and keyboard

Do you need anything else?

BTW - when I was running 3DMark03 last night, it powered down on me during one of the tests.

Fork

Comment

You need more power. Your PSU isnt provinding the power the radeon needs, as it shuts ya down whnever its needing the extra power boost, and its not there

Comment

The best way to determine if the graphics card is the problem is to intstall it into another computer and see if the problem repeats itself. Then again a quality power supply with more power won't set you back too much.
                :-(

Comment

Hmmm... I'm using a quality 350W power supply now. That's not enough? :(

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check out a new PW soon.

Comment

Can ya supply a link for the PSU as I can't even google one up? :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                      You need more power. Your PSU isnt provinding the power the radeon needs, as it shuts ya down whnever its needing the extra power boost, and its not there
                      Minimum Radeon 9700 specs are 300 watt PSU, and he doesnt have anything but a basic setup in his system, so that 350 should be more then enough. But if u have any mods like a CCL or lots of fans, you may be running into a problem.
                      <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

I have a few 350w PSU's here that don't supply enough wattage across the combined 3.3/5 volt rails to boot a basic 1200 Duron system (120w).

Comment

my 350W provides 180W over the 3.3/5V rail. I run fine and I use a CC and 3fans!

Comment

I had a 350W PSU that ran a 1500+, 5 fans, CD-RW, CD-ROM, 2 7200 RPM HDD, ati 7500, etc...

worked great for 10 months....then it went postal and killed the mobo, the next mobo I put into it, and a stick of PC2100
                            ...didn't even give me a freakin' warning, just wouldn't boot one day :grr:

Comment

Likely why I like to stick in the 430-480w region as I like 200w as a minimum across those 3.3/5 volt rails to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X