Refresh Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh Rates

Hi guys just wanted to know what refresh rates does for your computer???

Like in the display propeties it has u know 60 to 85Hz. Wat does it do performence wise and stuff like that???

I find that the higher refresh rate is easier on the eyes and the performance hit is very small in real terms.

Comment

Performance has no effect as its how good your monitor is not any other hardware in your PC, But the higher you set the refresh rate the less headaches you will get due to less screen flickering. Some people know nothing about this and dont bother setting it at 75Mhz which is recommended and when you tell them they say what flickering but you cant see it unless you record it with a camera thats what your brain sees not your eyes that horrible line moving down the screen.

Comment

I use 85hz refresh rate, and Ive never got a headache, and well, Ive sat here for 24+hrs at a time before, but normally 12hrs straight, and NEVER a headache at 85hz

Comment

i seem to be using 144hz no problems with my NEC monitor

Comment

I used to use 60 on my old IBM monitor as that was its max at 1024x768. I then realized thats why i was starting to get a lot of headaches so I discovered an old NEC sitting around could handel 75hz at 1024x768 and I havent had a headache since the switch:)

Comment

POwahh !!!

thanks guys for the info.
              Never knew where the headaches were coming from
              lol
              now i know so is on 75 hz.
              Thanks dudes

Comment

One thing I should point out though is if ya use a refresh rate that is above the capability of the monitor then you'll wind up burning the monitor out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  One thing I should point out though is if ya use a refresh rate that is above the capability of the monitor then you'll wind up burning the monitor out.
                  That is true, Win XP has a protection to avoid that though. Just check the box "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".

But be sure to run your monitor with the right driver and not only as "standard monitor" because the OS need the right driver in order to indentify you monitors maximum res & rate limit.

The newer standard crt's with tco99 can handle 85 Hz at their recommended resolution. There is however plenty of older monitors on the market that also handle this frequenzy without burning out.

Standard and lower end crt's recommended res & Hz:

17" = 1024x768 at 85 Hz
                  19" = 1280x1024 at 85 Hz
                  21" = 1600x1200 at 85 Hz

Don't buy any new crt that can't handle 85Hz at it's reccomended resolution cause they ain't worth it. Take care of your health.

:cheers:

Comment

Ive got an nec multisync a700 17in and it only supposed to hit 75hz at 1024/768 but i run it at 85hz but i dont expect it to fry because its a newer monitor

EDIT: Made it more readable

Comment

Originally posted by PcNoob
                      POwahh !!!

thanks guys for the info.
                      Never knew where the headaches were coming from
                      lol
                      now i know so is on 75 hz.
                      Thanks dudes

More babble that can cause eyestrain while using a P.C..

Fluorescent lighting in the same room as your P.C. can cause headaches while using your P.C..
                      Still pictures, like staring at your desktop or reading a webpage (Clean or dirty) will cause more eyestrain than playing a fast action video game with constantly changing screens (GTA VC =Not bad). Most RTS games= NOT GOOD FOR EYES!
                      Also if your eyesight isn't perfect (20\20) and you do not wear\use something to correct your vision it can cause more strain on your eyes looking at the monitor than the average Joe. Stigmatism can really hurt (Major Red-eye).
                      Actually your not suppose to look at a computer screen for more than a half an hour without taking a break. Adjusting your desktop to a higher refresh rate (75 mhz or above recommended)will certainly help but there are other things to consider also.

Comment

Yeh i got XP and i know my Monitor supports it so is at 75hz now

Comment

Working...
                        X