Somebody tell me more about this new "pci express"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody tell me more about this new "pci express"

I read about this in another post and looked it up on the net and the results are looking promising! It says that it is backwards compatable with standard pci software we use now? How is this possible and still able to achive the speeds it says it will give? I was going to upgrade my system to a new motherboard (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe), but now after reading this, I guess I will wait and see how this turns out! No sense in getting a MB that is going to be ouitdated in a year or less! Espically if the new slots are for newer video cards that use the pci express slot!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Heres alink I found on a Google search........It seems to have a lot of info on it http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,522345,00.asp

Comment

Key features

Compatible with current PCI enumeration and software device driver model
      Layered architecture enabling physical layer attachment to copper, optical, or emerging physical signaling media to allow for future encoding schemes
      Maximum bandwidth per pin for enabling unique and small form factors, reducing cost, simplifying board design and routing, and reducing signal integrity issues
      Embedded clocking scheme enables superior frequency scalability versus source synchronous clocking
      Bandwidth scalability with frequency and/or interconnect width
      Predictable low latency suitable for applications requiring isochronous data delivery
      Quality of Service (QoS) attributes
      Mechanisms to support embedded and communications applications
      Hot Plug and Hot Swap capability
      Power Management capabilities

Benefit of serial technology over parallel architecture

Serial technology does away with the limitations of parallel bus architectures by delivering high bandwidth in the fewest number of signals. This allows higher frequency scaling while maintaining cost effectiveness.

More info

1. Serial interface
      2. Higher bandwidth (100mb per second per pin)
      3. Requires a (very clean) 12v supply
      4. High temperature (requires direct cooling)
      5. Software compatible (not hardware)
      6. 164 pin connector, measures 89mm

PCI Express interface
      Radeon 9700 Pro PCI Express card

Comment

Originally posted by webe3
        No sense in getting a MB that is going to be ouitdated in a year or less!
        :laugh: :laugh: :p :D

Man, when you discover a way to avoid buying computer technology that won't be obsolete in a year please let the rest of us know!!! :p

Comment

i was under the impression that PCI express was going to be 64-bit, am I wrong?
          [b]4. High temperature (requires direct cooling)
          are PCI cards gong to need a HSF now too? and maybe little heat sinks stuck all over the mobo?

Comment

well the AMD 8151 chipset uses PCI-X , msi and tyan started producing mobos using this chipset.
            pci-x is 64bits wide and 133MHz fast.
            bandwitdh is therefore 1GBps+.
            agp 8x is 2.1GBps ( 8 x 66MHz x 32bits)
            maybe they'll build 4x pci-x in the future but i don't think it'll be so soon.
            we haven't even seen the full benefits of agp 8x yet.

Comment

Well, from what I have read, it sounds promising! But it seems a little too early to tell how it will go, with thbe technology being so new......guess I will have to see if I want to upgrade now or wait a year....
              Here are my specs:
              System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

guess I will have to see if I want to upgrade now or wait a year....
                Damn I wish I had your patience.. lol

Comment

Well, from what I have read, it sounds promising! But it seems a little too early to tell how it will go, with thbe technology being so new......guess I will have to see if I want to upgrade now or wait a year....
                  This is a common hting on asus motherboards, they like to com eup with a new proprietary technology then drop it after a couple years. As an example are the "Magic Blue" PCI slot found on the A7V8X/A7N8X mobos and the CNR found on the P4B.

The new P4C800 and P4P800 have the ASUS WIFI Connector for optional wireless LAN upgrade as their newest proprietary technology.

Hopefully the PCI-eXpress won't go by the wayside.

I believe that this is also the same technology that is in use on many server boards and are 32/64 bit compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieVen
                    This is a common hting on asus motherboards, they like to com eup with a new proprietary technology then drop it after a couple years. As an example are the "Magic Blue" PCI slot found on the A7V8X/A7N8X mobos and the CNR found on the P4B.
                    what "Magic Blue" PCI slot? I've got an A7N8X and don't know what the hell you're talking about. :confused:

Comment

My mistake, it wasnt offered on the A7N8X, just oging form memory. Check out the A7V8X

Comment

ufuk21p: PCI-X isn't PCI Express, believe me it's an easy mistake to make.

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                          ufuk21p: PCI-X isn't PCI Express, believe me it's an easy mistake to make.
                          Yup ! weta's right, PCI-X is parallel, not serial. PCI-X has/will be used in server mobos.
                          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Working...
                          X