Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agp aperture size???

p4 1.6 768 ddr g4 ti4400 128mb

i recently updated my bios and i have come across agp aperture size setting. i have a choice of 64 or 256. have seen some articles saying to have it lower with the more modern cards and have seen recommendations on it being 2x the graphics card memory, 1/2 of your memory,,,well i was wondering what any of you think i should set it at. first post and this is a great forum,,thx, ernest

Set at at 256mb for your best results, since thats all the options it gives you :thumb:

Comment

My board has apeture crap from 32mb up to 1 g. i get the best 3dmark score when its set to 64 meg. At 256 it gets crippled.

Comment

MFaction

My, what a descriptive adjective!

Comment

Fixed. Maybe one day folks will try to display a bit of maturity but my hopes are a bit dim at times. :rolleyes2
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
            esto[/size]]
            p4 1.6 768 ddr g4 ti4400 128mb

i recently updated my bios and i have come across agp aperture size setting. i have a choice of 64 or 256. have seen some articles saying to have it lower with the more modern cards and have seen recommendations on it being 2x the graphics card memory, 1/2 of your memory,,,well i was wondering what any of you think i should set it at. first post and this is a great forum,,thx, ernest
            That must be one POS mobo then as 128MB should be in there as well though 64MB may work for ya (128MB is best for ya card under most configurations) but use 3DMark2001SE (build 330) to test both settings and stick with the setting that gives the best stability and performance.

Comment

im sorry. i just hate VIA and i curse its mother and father and whole family.

Comment

That's usually what I hear from ppl who don't understand the setup procedure and who arn't willin' to take the time to learn it (though I do prefer the nForce2 now though it's pretty simple still) but this is just the standard BIOS setup procedure. :(

Comment

mine ran great at 64MB... sticking to it...
                  for 2x cards... yup, it does go some like that... 1/2 of the v card`s ram... give it a try anyways...;)

Comment

i ran the 3d 2001 se 330 test, and with it set to 256 i get a 5 pt. increase. lol. so i guess i ll leave it at 256 unless someone can tell me why i shouldnt.

by the way my system is a vpr matrix
                    p4 1.6 winxp
                    INTEL 845bg latest bios
                    768 ddr 2100 ram
                    ti 4400 128 4x, i think its visiontek
                    60 gb 7200 maxtor hd

my best score on 3d2001se 330 test is 8500. is that good, bad, normal for my specs

at 1024 768 32 aa quin 4x af 2x and texture sharpening
                    with games mostly medium to high i get a fps of 85 starting out, drops real quick to 20-50 fps in action, should i be getting better frames, i thought i would with my system but oh well. have refreshlock, but was thinking of tryingout rivatuner. anyways im interested in any opinions. thx ernest :smokin:

oh yeah, i have the 44.03 drivers and for some reason when i change res to 800 600 my frames dont get better and with the aa and af settings i use i usually only lose 5 fps so i leave it be, which seems wierd from some of the things ive read because i thought frames would be higher with lower res and eye candy turned down,,,seems people get alot more out of less systems then mine i dont know why, everything is updated!!comp love em hate em i guess ernest

Comment

I did find a program that showed what the AGP memory was set/allowed to use, but that was ages ago and can't remember it's name. I changed to different settings, and showed what it was using, for mine anything over 128MB didn't make a difference, it didn't enable any extra memory to use for it.

As for Nvidia it seems more often than not the more you throw at them the better they work....

Comment

I tried 3DMark2001 with my ATi 9700Pro at both 64MB and 128MB and it actually ran very slightly faster at 64MB. Not fast enough to determine anything but it shows mostly that 3DMark2001 isn't demanding enough on high end cards to need any more.

Comment

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ exlains what this is all about and shows you tests based on different settings of AAS
                          many people still ignore the importance of AAS or set it incorrectly. Generally measured in megabytes (MB), AAS is the amount of system memory (RAM) shared with an AGP graphics card in order for it to have more memory to process textures and other visual data.

Comment

Well in 99% of the times it should be set to the same amount that you video card has OR half the amount of random access mem ya got installed.. :devil win

So in most cases you wouldn't wanna set it less than the vidcards mem, that's for sure. But as mentioned, try it out and see what's best for ya computer.

Comment

Here's the best explanation of AGP Aperture size from Rojakpots BIOS Guide: http://www.rojakpot.com/showBOG.aspx?bogno=23

As you can see it's not as simple as 1/2 physical RAM or whatever. Basically for most modern cards I recommend AGP Aperture=128MB. If set below 64MB you disable AGP texturing which is a big performance hit, and at 256MB there is no performance difference between 128 and 256MB.

Bottom line: 64 or 128MB are the best settings for most people.
                              My Machine

Comment

Working...
                              X