No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce FX is the graphics processor of choice at E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers just a few questions - so they must be coded in different ways on how they perform - are pentiums generally faster than AMDS?

I thought DDR ram and Pentium processors were different things! lol What relevance is the ram to the processor?

What is cycling four times and what is it transferring four times?

Any recommended sites to look up information on the net?

Cheers for the help toolbox :)

ta ta

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
      Hehehe.. that's a new one..
      thats actually true
      no no no I'm saying that DDR ram uses up and down cycle to transfer data...the P4 does it 4 times every cycle but because of this it can transfer less data on each clock. (because it uses 4 clocks)...mayb i said something different his time LOL

Comment

I don't know what's worse.. That you said what you said the first time, or that you are sticking by it. :) Part of it is right, but some of it isn't...

Comment

IPC = Instructions per cycle.

An Athlon/Duron completes 9 ipc.

A P4 on the otherhand completes just 6 ipc.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
            I don't know what's worse.. That you said what you said the first time, or that you are sticking by it. :) Part of it is right, but some of it isn't...
            its good enough, I dont see you givin an explanation

Wiggo:
            Its FSB * IPC = Performance Rating? or MHZ * IPC

Comment

I honestly couldn't be bothered doing your research for you, but I'll give you a few pointers:

- Pentium 4 is called Pentium 4 due to natural progression, not because it is 'quadpumped'.
              - Any CPU only has 1 clock. It just depends on how that clock is used. For example, what Wiggo said about IPC. That's the whole reason that comparing clockspeeds between different processors is a stupid thing to do. They both do different things in different styles.
              - In just 10 seconds on Google, I came up with <a href="http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/xp_1800+/">this</a>. Read it and find out what you are looking for.

Comment

Ya know that it's awfully temptin' just to turn him into a "t00l" as then there would be meaning. :D

Comment

No no no.. he's more than a tool. toolbox is more fitting. :)

Comment

Me thinks i shall stick up for toolbox here because he did try and help which is the main point of the forum isn't it?
                    Cheers for the article Beefy and IRC wiggo - but good on ya TOOLBOX sometimes theses admins can be harsh :cry: but i say this to them lol only jessin!

ta ta

Comment

Me also thinks beefy you found that on google in ten seconds cause you know what to look for - me however would not and be lost under piles of crap and would be doin this

Good article though

ta ta

Comment

Sounds like someone want's to become TT's 2nd permanent n00b. :D

But there are quite a few articles around on the web about AMD's PR ratin' and AMD had the best (but sadly no longer can it be found) but higher FSB's and the larger L2 cache has thrown a spanner into the works (really the latest XP3200+ Barton is no better than the paper release XP2800+ T'bred).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve(MrScruff)
                          Me also thinks beefy you found that on google in ten seconds cause you know what to look for - me however would not and be lost under piles of crap and would be doin this
                          All I entered was "Performance Rating" AMD.....

And Wiggo is right. There's no clear cut solution to figuring out the rating now that the Bartons have come out.

Comment

Okay so if a friend asked me which is better pentium or amd, i would say it depends on your requirments - but what are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? What type of system would they work most effeciently in? :)

ta ta

Comment

AMD accells in office apps and is more stable. P4 is generally (not all the time) better for games

Comment

Originally posted by t00lb0x
                                AMD accells in office apps and is more stable. P4 is generally (not all the time) better for games
                                Why is the Athlon more stable? How does it excel in office apps? More to the point, if this is going to become a CPU conversation, start a new thread elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X