Overclocking the Gigabyte 8INXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking the Gigabyte 8INXP

I put the juice to it, and here is what I ended up with.

Put the FSB at 150
    That gave me a 3.15 Ghz (cpu is a Intel p4 2.8)
    Increased Vcore to 1.675v
    Temp of cpu after running for 5 hours, playing games, was 49c. I wasn't able to find Intel documentation that told me what the high temp limit was for this cpu. Does anyone know what the limit is?

For this motherbard, you can keep the APG and PCI fixed at 33/66, so that is what I did. I have 1 gig of ram.

This motherboard supports PC2100 at 266. I intalled PC3200 DDR400 memory, and increased the memory voltage to 2.8v, which increased the memory to 300mhz.

I have the Hercules 9700 Pro video card. That comes with a Tweak program to overclock the video card. I increased my video core from 325mhz to 371mhz. You can also overclock the video memory, so I changed that from 620mhz to 662mhz. Oh, I had to set this video card down to 4x, cuz 8x still has lockup problems. Hercules said it was a motherboard issue, of course. Hercules also said that they specificly tested the 9700 pro with the 8INXP motherboard! Go figure! Gigabyte said to load the latest bios, which I did, but it didn't help. What's funny is that my score didn't go down when I put it at 4x vs 8x. So much for the 8x hype! Guess we'll have to wait for bios and driver updates before we can see anything valuable come from 8x. Not to mention they say no currently released applications support or use the 8x stuff anyway.

With all 10 fans running, that includes the video, cpu, dual power stuff, hard drive, and case fans, I have an interal case temp of 83 degrees F.

I've done some of the XP tweaks at tweakxp.com as well.

My main hard drive is using the onboard RAID with two WD 120gb with the 8mb cache, running RAID 0.

Ran 3DMark 2003, the latest version, with all default settings, which means it ran in 1024 x 768, with most things enabled.

My first score before ever making any changes was 4500 ish. My final score was 5262!

Not bad with a P4 2.8.

How does those numbers look? Is my voltage ok, with the other settings? I'm not having any problems, but I didn't have a guilde to how much to increase the voltage vs the freakquincy.

Anyone else have the p4 2.8 overclocked?

Steve

well this is a anything but a reply, however I have read that the Granite Bay is an excellent chipset with the dual ddr channel and 8x agp etc...
    How much does it cost these days and is it worth the bucks?
    :bounce: :bounce2:

Comment

Well your case temp isnt bad, but Id say you outta get a better HSF as your cpu seems a tick too high, I like to keep any cpu around or below 40C. But you wont fry if you stay at that temp, but if ya wanna go on with the overclock, get more cpu cooling.

Comment

You can find all the info about your proc on intel's website... But to answer your question quickly ... Your processor's max temp is 70 C (once you hit that, you're processor will throttle back (getting slower, to help compensate for heat))

Comment

The cost was about $2500, but it's loaded. Hell yes it's worth it, this system rocks! I've had no problems sinse I set the APG port to 4x. Not a big loss. I also did the side window thing, with a ton of blue fan lights and stuff, round ide cables, etc, looks cool. Wireless keyboard, etc. I just need a new monitor now, only running on a 19" Dell(Sony). I sure would like one of those 22" Viewsonics.

Thanks for the info on the temp. I had another Intel guy tell me that you want to stay under 60 and you are safe. You are right about the cpu throttling back at 70, but still is ok. They said it wouldn't give you real issues even at 70, but you would loose cpu power. Seems like you would melt down at some point:flames: I too like to stay around 40. My system runs about 43 when I'm not playing games and pushing it.

I figure if I can stay under 50 in the summer, gets about 110 here, then I'm ok. I'm still running without any problems, playing games and all, and everything runs perfect! I really like the mb and the Herc video card rocks.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X