Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime/OCCT/MemTest/FurMark/...-stable, but not in Games. Advice welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prime/OCCT/MemTest/FurMark/...-stable, but not in Games. Advice welcome.

updates:

Code:
    PCI-E Frequency 101_______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    PCI-E Frequency 102_______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    PCI-E Frequency 103_______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    PCI-E Frequency 105_______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    PCI-E Frequency 115_______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    PCI-E Frequency Auto______________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    Bios F13__________________________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    Driver Update_____________________________ [COLOR=Red]no improvement[/COLOR]
    "From the moment they wake, they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue"

Comment

PCI-E set back to 100

Played SF4 and after 1 1/2 h short freeze of 2-3 secs then graphical glitches (texture paint visible) but game still playable in background with sound. back to menu, also graphical glitches.

hmhmhm. I'll try my other mobo and after that there's nothing to do but replace my GPU and maybe test an ATI...

"From the moment they wake, they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue"

Comment

Ahh!

What are your thoughts now? Can you borrow a ATI card from a buddy?

Comment

No, they have Nvidia, too. Buy/return I guess.

But first to the mobo change, when that is done I report back. Well p35-ds3 to p35-ds3R shouldn't make much of a difference unless the ds3 really is broken somewhere. But at least I can say I tried that too, afterwards.

Oh and Lsdmeasap, again I must say I really appreciate your support here.

Comment

Anytime, I am always here to help!

Ya, not sure if the board change will matter much unless something is broken like you said.

Comment

I
              have
              made
              FIIIIIRRRREEEEEE !

seems like the mobo change did the trick. 3 hours of continuous GTA4 play without the slightest glitch (I quit after that time). this was impossible before. Wow, the ds3 really must be broken somewhere.

phhhhhiiiew, I finally made it. I'll test further but it's now clear to me that the mobo is bad. not cool, but hey, better than being in the dark.

now I need to cancel the order I made for the ATI test card

Comment

Hmm, well at least you found the problem!

Sounds like you should RMA the board, or keep it for a non gaming machine. Later is probably the best bet, because if you RMA it they wont find any issues likely because they wont test with your hardware or games.

Stick with the ATI order, your PC will thank you for the upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap
                  Sounds like you should RMA the board, or keep it for a non gaming machine. Later is probably the best bet...
                  Yup, I did exactly that. Just swapped them Main PC <-> Gaming Machine Boards. The stresstests show that I'm unlikely to experience any problems with that board as long as I don't game with it.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap
                  Stick with the ATI order, your PC will thank you for the upgrade
                  Ooohh :X.
                  Is this the ATI fanboy speaking?

No honestly, when I buy hardware, or anything for that matter, I'm usually the "best-bang-for-bucks" guy, regardless of brand. Had an X1900XT before and a 9800Pro before that.

Comment

Na, I just like Sapphire actually and wont buy anything else.

I used to use Nvidia cards, but couldn't stand the driver errors/issues so I switched to Sapphire a few years back and haven't had an issue since.

I can't ever afford to get the best so I am kinda like you, just upgraded to 4890 a few months ago, was 3870 before that. Next will be 5870 probably, but after 6xxx cards come out :)

Comment

yup, Sapphire is good. both my X1900XT and the 9800pro were from them.

just pushing the overclock a bit more beyond 4 GHz. Hey Lsdmeasap. What do you usually do to find the lowest stable vCore? Preferably something faster than Prime Small FFTs. Currently using OCCT CPU @ HIGH priority. That should error pretty early on too low voltage right? Maybe Linpack would be better? Other fast and reliable ways? of course a long prime small fft run will come but just a quick way to narrow it down? what do you do usually?

Comment

Well I start high, then lower and test as time permits. I am on water, so unless I have plenty of "bored time" I personally don't spend much time looking for lowest voltages actually.

You can use LinX or Intel Burn Test for faster testing methods, as well as HCI Memtest. Ya OCCT should error out fairly quick if voltages are too low.

When I am looking for stability I use HCI and LinX myself.

Comment

Isn't OCCT: Linpack the same as LinX or close to?

2 Frontends for Linpack basically?

Comment

OCCT not sure as I do not use this myself

Linpack is what is used for LinX or Intel Burn Test, that is for sure.

Comment

@ 489 MHz FSB / 4.4 Ghz 1.356v (bios) currently and OCCT: CPU 1h stable so far. (G)MCH and FSB OverVoltage at stock.

Comment

Sounds good! Especially for 4.4Ghz!

Comment

Working...
                                X