Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't anyone just help me to O/C my CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't anyone just help me to O/C my CPU?

Dear Friends,

I am trying to OverClock my CPU for the last 1 & half month which is Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Core 333 FSB with Asus A7N8X-X Motherboard. But I failed. Basically I never O/C before in my life. Once Yaw & Ab of this forum tried to help me but it didn't work. I just did everything according to many forums but failed to make it. I know that my processor can O/C upto 3200+ and the main thing is a year ago one of my friend overclocked my CPU upto 3200+ but at that time it was burning like hell. But now I have Thermaltake's "BEETLES" which is one of the best CPU cooler I have heard from the forums and also the PowerSupply of ThermalRock's Ninja Power with 420Wt and can't just make it O/C. I also want to add that I have two RAM's (1. 256 MB PC3200 Kingstone DDR 400 & 2. 256 MB PC3200 Twinmos DDR 400) total 512 RAM. At BIOS their settings are 7-3-3-2.5. I set the CPU V-Core at 1.725 but still not working. So it will be very helpfull for me if anyone of you should explain me what to do next to O/C my CPU. I will be very pleased if you tell me the process of O/C my CPU with my Motherboard from the begining (From the start-The whole process) as I want to be successful this time. Please also let me know is it possible to O/C this particular processor in between 2500+ to 3200+ (Such as 2700+ or 2800+ or 3000+).

Thanks a lot.

Antar <Kuasha>

My PC configuration is:

Athlon XP 2500+, M. Board: ASUS A7N8X-X, AGP card: INNO3D 6600 LE 256 MB 128 Bit & ASUS GeForce FX 5200 128 MB &, RAM: 256*2 of Kingstone & Twinmos PC3200 DDR 400, H.D: 80 GB Samsung, Sound Card: Creative 5:1 SB, CPU cooler: Thermaltake "BEETLES", Power Supply: ThermalRock 420 Wt

Re: Can't anyone just help me to O/C my CPU?

There are so many variables in overclocking that it can sometimes be difficult to say what will work in any given system... but with the Barton core processors I have had very good luck with doing nothing more than changing the 166MHz FSB setting to 200MHz. This takes the 2500+ processor and lets the system see a 3200+ processor. As a matter of fact, I still have a system with this very configuration running as my secondary machine.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

In fact, I have the same exact cpu and the same exact board. Do what Darth says. Just take the FSB up to 200MHz. Works like a glove. Your ram won't have trouble since it's already 200MHz.

Comment

At first I wanna give both of you (Darth & Eat) for replying me. The thing is I set the FSB at 200 even at every possible possition but still not working. At CPU Multiplier options I also tried 11.5 or 12 or 10.5 just at every possitions but not worked. But believe me when I had only single 256 MB Ram one of my friend did it successfully. And now when I have 512 Ram why I can't do that! My Bios version is 1009. Please give me a solution that I can O/C my CPU at 3200+ as I have a very good CPU cooler & Power Supplier.

My BIOS setup showed below:

Asus ACPI - BIOS Rev 1009
        Phoenix - Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility
        Advance Chipset Features
        Normal Trying to O/C at

CPU External Freq. (MHz) [166 MHz] [200MHz]
        CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
        CPU Frequency Multiple [12.5x] [11.5 or 11 or 10.5x]
        System Performance [Aggressive]
        CPU Interface [Optimal]
        X Memory frequency 100%
        Resulting Frequency 166 MHz 200MHz
        X memory Timings Aggressive
        X SDRAM Active Precharge Delay 7 8
        X SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay 3 3
        X SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3 3
        X SDRAM CAS Latency 2.5T 3
        X FSB Spread Spectrum Disabled Disabled
        X AGP Spread Spectrum Disabled Disabled
        CPU Vcore Setting [Menu]
        CPU Vcore [1.650v] [1.725v]

Thanks a lot.

Antar <kuasha></kuasha>
        Last edited by antar786; 01-14-2006, 02:11 PM. Reason: Want to add more

Comment

Turn down those 2 Aggressive settings and give the memory a bit more voltage (2.7-2.8v) if you already havn't, then try again.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. But what I am wondering about the CPU Vcore incresing at 2.7 or 2.8 seems so high too me. Basically I have no idea about that. But if I increase the Vcore upto that will it gonna harm to my CPU or not please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Antar <Kuasha>

Comment

I said to give the memory that much voltage not the bloody CPU.

Comment

In a similar vein, I have the following...

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
                MB NFORCE2 A7N8X-E DELUXE ASUS RTL

I tried the above, just changing my bus speed to 200MHz. The machine hung and on a hard boot would stop at the memory test screen and give me a message that the system is running at safe speed (1250MHz) and I need to go into the Bios and change the bus speed :)

So the MB is overriding my overclocking?

Comment

Originally posted by JStudrawa
                  In a similar vein, I have the following...

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
                  MB NFORCE2 A7N8X-E DELUXE ASUS RTL

I tried the above, just changing my bus speed to 200MHz. The machine hung and on a hard boot would stop at the memory test screen and give me a message that the system is running at safe speed (1250MHz) and I need to go into the Bios and change the bus speed :)

So the MB is overriding my overclocking?
                  Yes, it looks like your hardware will not support your OC, try putting a divider on the RAM(turn the MHz down), and see if this helps. Adding voltage could also help, but I prefer to find the weak link first(CPU/MB/RAM).

JStudrawa, If your set at 200 FSB, how do you know you are not overclocked? Do you have CPU-Z or similar program which will tell you your CPU speed?

Comment

Originally posted by matm347
                    Yes, it looks like your hardware will not support your OC, try putting a divider on the RAM(turn the MHz down), and see if this helps. Adding voltage could also help, but I prefer to find the weak link first(CPU/MB/RAM).

JStudrawa, If your set at 200 FSB, how do you know you are not overclocked? Do you have CPU-Z or similar program which will tell you your CPU speed?
                    I'm not overclocked because my machine won't go past the post screen. It actually stops and says "your computer is running in safe mode. You need to go into the Bios and set the clock speed properly per your CPU that we recognized". it will even show it's running at 1250MHz (1.25GHz) in a safe mode.

The MB is seeing that my bus speed is not set correct per the CPU I have installed, and it's basically telling me to F off.

Not sure of any settings per that MB or Bios that I need to check or uncheck to allow a different bus speed setting?

Comment

Working...
                    X