Can someone please help me overclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help me overclock?

I need some help overclocking my computer. I have my computer set up to the basics, but I know for fact that it can be overclocked. Can someone help me?

Specs:

Amd Athlon 64 3000 1.8 Ghz
    DFI NF4 Ultra Motherboard
    2 Gb Ram
    500 Watt PSU
    ATI x550 VC

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Can someone please help me overclock?

I would suggest that you start checking through the OC forum, Yawg has some excellent tips posted there. You may even browse through the hardware section to see if someone has specs posted for your particular MB.

Remember that what works for somebody else may not do the exact same thing for you, differences in CPUs, etc make just about all of them unique.
    Once you're ready to go, I'd suggest printing all the suggestions out there, then making one change at a time instead of going in an redoing everything all at once. Make a change, boot up, run it for awhile, check things out, especially temps. If it does well, go back, make another change and try that.
    Also helps if you write down your original settings in case you forget in and you just want to restore that one setting later on. Otherwise, you'll just have to go back into BIOS and restore defaults, putting you back to sqare one.
    Have fun, lots of luck

Comment

Thanks. That helped a lot.

Comment

First of all, what kind of ram do you have. Second, is that a cheap power supply or a good name brand unit. Third, do you know how to get into the motherboard bios and change stuff. Fourth, that video card is not that good for overclocking and is probably gonna keep benchmark scores down. Give a much better description of your hardware, especially the ram. Have you ever overclocked a PC before? That motherboard is not for beginners, be careful.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The ram is Corsair DDR400 PC3200 and it has Diablotek psu. I know how to get into the bios and everything. I want to learn how to overclock and I thought this would be easiest. I have read a whole lot on it and wanted some one elses advice.

Comment

What you need to do first is set the HT or LDT to 3, then start raising the HTT up slowly. You should be able to go to about 235-240HTT with the Vcore at stock. After that, you will need to raise that up as well to clock higher. Is your ram value ram or is it high end ram. You may need to loosen the timings to get it to clock up. You can also set a divider on the ram. Start by setting it 166MHz at startup, that way it will not effect your overclocks too much. Once you are running it over 200MHz, you may need to raise its' voltage as well. Experiment with different timings. As for exact ram timings, you will need to know exactly which model ram you have to find the best timings for it. Make sure you learn where the jumper on the motherboard for clearing the CMOS is in case you set something a little too radical and it will not post. As long as you don't go crazy with too much voltage, you won't hurt anything by setting too aggressive timings. Start slow and work your way up. Use SuperPI and 3D Mark and Aquamark3 to check for stability. Once you get a relatively stable overclock, use PRIME95 to test for 24/7 stability. It needs to run 24 hours error free to be a 100% stable overclock. If you need more info or for me to explain something better, just ask and be specific as to what you are looking for.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Maybe...

Never even heard of Diablotek, but you can try OCing anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X