No announcement yet.

FSB Overclocking and other components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would prefer to do it out of the case.

Just easier access that way.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
      I would prefer to do it out of the case.

Just easier access that way.

My thoughts exactly :toung:
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I have normally done a vast majority of mine inside the case, but that is because I was testing so many at the same time. To completely remove all components for every HSF that I was testing would have taken forever.

What I found during all of that is that it is not all that easy to damage your processor core... as long as you take reasonable care when installing/removing the HSF.

What I mean by reasonable care is to make sure that you have the HSF flat on the core before attaching the clipping mechanism. Push the back prong down as far as it will go. Attach this prong to the rear of the socket (after adding the Arctic Silver, of course), rock the HSF down gently so that it is flat on the core, and then attach the front of the clipping mechanism.

After testing somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 or more heatsinks, I haven't damaged my core yet... and I have never used a shim.

So... if you want the shim, then go for it. But if you're reasonably confident in your ability to lay a sink down flat atop the core, then have at it. With a little care and common sense, you should do just fine. :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Yeah I do mine in case as well (but it's a full tower too) every 2 months to get the dust balls out and like Darth it would just take far to long to take the board out plus the clip on mine needs 1 screwdriver to attach it but 2 to release it. ;)

Comment

Working...
          X