XP Unlocking kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Unlocking kit

If you're still using stock cooling, I'd slap a Nice aftermarket on there like a Thermaltake SIlent Boost, or a 7+ if you can handle the noise, then go hog wild.

However, keep in mind that increasing just your cpu speed doesn't help overall system performance that much, but if you're Folding@Home, it will defintely help ALOT.

Comment

Yeah you might notice a little extra poke. 200 mhz increase is nothing to be scoffed at.

As Fatguy said with overclocking comes greater temps. Replacing the cooler is advisable. However, looking on the forum Wiggo has used is stock cooler to overclock his 2.4 c up to 3.2 :?: I forget now.

Comment

All Athlon overclockin' should be done with a better HSF than the retail one.
        Yes I've unlocked quite a few Palamino cored Athlons in the past (I havn't done a Thoroughbred cored one though but the process is similar but different bridges are involved). So is your's a Pally or a T'bred? (Pallies have their markings on the top of the core while T'breds have a sticker on the substrate)
        If a Pally then ya need to bridge all the L1 bridges but if it's a T'bred then ya just need to bridge the last L3 bridge (furthest away from the L3 marking).
        The speeds that ya may obtain will also be depentent on what core ya have.

Comment

I haven't looked but I'm pretty damned sure it's Palamino Wiggo.
          Would increasing the Vcore voltage help and if so what to?

Comment

It's very likely that ya'll have to increase the core voltage (I usually increase it by 0.1v to start with).

Comment

Would it be possible that unlocking the CPU would enable the FSB speed to be altered as well or do you think that's down to the limitations of my mobo because it'll be a real shame if I can't push the 1700+ any harder than 1662mhz.

Comment

Unlockin' the multipier will in no way affect the FSB.

Comment

WELL WOULDN'T YA KNOW IT! :confused:

I've just stripped my fan and heatsink off to check out the CPU for ya and once I'd thrown it all back together the processor was showing up as an XP1900 so it looks like I've done something (christ only knows what) to enable the FSB overclock.

BTW Wiggo the model number of my CPU is XP1700DMT3C so it's definitely Palamino core.

Comment

Stranger things have happened but have fun playin' with it.

Comment

What's basically happened is this:

I removed my fan, heatsink and CPU to find out the model number for ya. I removed a sticker from over the top of the L1 bridges on the chip - that's all I've done. I gace the whole area underneath and around the CPU a darned good vacuuming because it was thick with dust, then I reassembled the lot.

I'm running with an FSB speed of 143 and Vcore of 1.8v at the moment which is giving me a clock speed of 1572mhz compared to the stock 1466mhz and the CPU is being recognised as an XP1900. I'm checking for instabilities right now.

I'm dumbfounded as to why it has happened all of a sudden but there you go!

Comment

There may have been a little corrosion or dust around the CPU pins so when ya removed the HSF the pins moved creatatin' a better contact with the socket or just basically the dust build up was shortin' something that affected the FSB but who really knows? :shrug:
                        Ya did re-apply some heat tranfer compound I hope b4 ya reinstalled the HSF I hope? :?:

Comment

Of course buddy ;) although I only realised just as I came to reassemble so I had to nip over to a neighbour's house to borrow some.

I've settled on 1.75v and 1539mhz for stability which is an improvement over 1466mhz.

My Mobo was only designed to take XP1800 tops so that's probably why it's throwing a fit everytime I step into XP1900 territory.

Does this mean even with the multiplier adjustment I can't really take it above what it's at now or will the multiplier affect a completely different set of issues?

Comment

Actually there's a BIOS upgrade listed here for support up to XP2100.

Comment

Right then - my BIOS is updated now but it doesn't appear to have made any appreciable difference to how high and can overclock the FSB. Anything over 140 still behaves erratically.

Will I still be able to overclock the multipliers once I've unlocked the CPU or is this as far as it goes now?

BTW I've ordered a Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent Skt A Heatsink & Fan - it's a monster so hopefully it should help keep thinks cool inside the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X