No announcement yet.

The origins of overclocking.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you should be so quick to judge all Via chipsets from your experience with the AOpen AK33 - a KT133 board

I'm not familiar with that specific board...but there are a few real KT133 dogs out there, and AOpen doesn't exactly have the best of reputations either.

Besides if you want to run an XP - what are your alternatives:
    SiS - good but not really OC'er friendly
    AMD - not widely available anymore
    vNidia - get ready to fork out the cash & Oc by jumpers too.
    ALi- C'mon - you weren't really considering Ali, were you?

most KT133a or KT266a board owners I know are more than satisfied with Via chipsets.

Comment

I have that chipset on my board and I love it, the overclocking was great, the board was rock solid. Great chipset if ya ask me

Comment

Well my 1st was getting an AMD 586 133MHz to 160MHZ and that was without a fan. Next was a K6-2 500 to 560 but that was one hot SOB and my current setup which you can see in my sig.
        I have put together a few oc'd PC's for friends though of which, my 1st for some one else, was a T'bird 700 which does 1100MHz (10x110) which is still my best oc and that is still runnin' strong though the fellow is startin' to think about something with more poke again. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
          I don't think you should be so quick to judge all Via chipsets from your experience with the AOpen AK33 - a KT133 board

The AK33 is an AWESOME little board, as long as you don't need overclocking features. I used to use this for all my Duron systems that I built :)
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I've never used one Albinus so I really can't comment.....It was just a response to God's conclusion that all Via chipsets suck based on his experience with that board.:cheers:

I still say there are some poor KT133 boards out there, the Epox 8KTA2 is one of them, I've had the misfortune to set up 2 different PC's with that board.
            Later bios revisions help a lot.......

Comment

Yes RDR - I know you weren't criticising it - but our college has several Duron 750 machines running with the AK33, as it is cheap, fast (for a KT133) and stable. Excellent OEM board ;)

Comment

I'd rather spring the money for a GHz Athlon for a server or a secondary PC and leave it at that.

Duron's are great for low cost, and those who aren't interested in heavy gaming or hardcore computing.
                Chris "Raven"
                News Crew - TweakTown
                <!--
                <font size=1>
                <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
                - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
                - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
                - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
                </font>
                // -->
                "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

A long list of overclocks:
                  Cyrix pr200 (150Mhz - 2*75 up to 187.5Mhz - 2.5*75)
                  Cyrix PR300 (250Mhz 3*83 up to 266Mhz 4*66) really hot
                  Celeron 366 @ 550
                  Duron 600 @ 900
                  Athlon 900 @ 1066
                  Athlon 1200 @ 1403 (133.64*10.5) - just gave it to the dorta - would boot at 1470 (133.64*11)
                  Athlon 1333 @ 1604 (133.64*12) - would boot at 1737 (133.64*13) but crashed in Win or DOS

No luck with fsb overclocks at higher multipliers on the Athlons....turned out to be a sus drive that wouldn't tolerate fsb increases.

retired now for a while....running a nice and QUIET duron 1000....waiting

PS what happened to the chips???
                  both Cyrix chips died quickly
                  the celery is still going at 413
                  the Duron is still going at 900
                  the TB900 is around at 990 still
                  the 1200 won't take voltage increases but will run at 1403 at standard v
                  the 1333 is still strong as an ox but #2son runs it at stock only now the fun is over..

Comment

In my experience, AMD rules in overclocking. The highest I've been able to hit with an intel chip was 500MHz off a 400MHz PPGA Celeron. My Duron 800 was run as high as 1074MHz stable. I've got my 1.4GHz T-bird hitting 1.58GHz right now.

Comment

Both AMD and Intel have had "exceptional" overclocking chips. For instance, the Celeron "A" 300MHz was almost guaranteed to hit 450MHz with only a simple voltage increase. Ditto the Duron 600MHz, many hit 1GHz without too much trouble. So they come and go in stages - I wouldn't stick my neck out and say that one vendor's CPUs are more overclockable than the other's ;)

Comment

What Albinus said is very true as atm the ball is back in Intel's court with their P4 1.6A CPU as most are reporting between 2.2-2.4GHz which by today's standards is a very good increase. ;)

Comment

Yeah, I've been reading about that.
                          In my experience, I've probably not gotten the best OC'ing chips from Intel. I tried to get a couple of 700E's, but ended up with the 800EB's (for my VP6).

Comment

Yes well there's quite a bit of difference between the two. :smokin:

Comment

my efforts:

pent 75 to 90 (my dad went sick when i showed him :D )
                              cyrix 200@266 (runs but locks up under HEAVY load, 233 is happy)
                              PIII-450@554 (i so wanted 600, but i think the board was holding it back)
                              Duron 600@1004 (now sits happily at 933, its a blue core)
                              Athy 1GHz to 1170 or somefin...was just playing
                              yet to OC my new P4 1.6 (not A :( )

system states: no deaths as yet, athy is chipped to buggery tho, still worx ;)

Comment

Off memory:

Cyrix 150 - 200 (I was very pumped that day :D )
                                Celeron 333a - 550MHz (Still I found that impressive)
                                Pentium 3 450MHz - 600MHz (So so)
                                Pentium 3 800MHz - 1000MHz
                                Pentium 4 1.3GHz - 1.7GHz
                                Pentium 4 1.6A - 2.4GHz
                                AMD Athlon 1GHz to 1.33GHz (several times)
                                AMD Athlon 1.33GHz to 1.4GHz (several times)

:)

Comment

Working...
                                X