Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottlenecking ?

Hi all ,

Been doing a bit of tweaking and managed to get the OC shown in the attachment . Could take it further , but when testing for stability with 3D Mark 2003 v3.03, I`m finding a significant drop in my scores ! And it`s progressive with higher FSB`s .

Previously .. 210x10 gave me 1816 3D marks ..
    Now 214x10 gives me 1785 marks !!

Argh ! Is this due to "bottlenecking " of my GFX card ? ( specs as below ). I`m primarily a gamer and dont want to lose out FPS for clock speed.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks ,

Gerry

: peace:

I am a little new to OCing, so take this with a grain of salt.

But wouldn't you want to lower the FSB a little and up the multipyer to get a little more mhz out of your chip?
    Mu 2400+ thoroughbred I just installed is running 2000mhz, and I havne't even oced it yet.

Just cuorious.

Chez

Comment

I'm not much of an o'cer either, but that sounds a lot like your CPU is heating up too much, hence the drop in scores. Ya might wanna back it down, as a cool running lower clocked processor can run more effciently than a hot running higher clocked one. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

sounds to me like your pushing your memory too hard, because it would give errors, then have to go back and correct them.

But, some runs will fluctuate more than others.

So, I'd go with another set of runs at the same settings as before, see what results you get.

If it goes back to normal, then leave it.

If it's still too low, either give your memory more voltage, relax memory timings, or back off the fsb.

Then test, and see if it worked.

Comment

Hi ,

Well 2 suggestions ..heat and memory . Why would heat affect 3D mark scores ? Surely if the sys was overheating I would have stability problems and 3D mark wouldnt work , as I`ve seen already if I try to push the processor too much without increasing voltages. I have Vdd at 1.6 ( tried 1.8 , made no diff ) the RAM at 2.77 with heat spreaders and the Vcore at 1.675 ( went up to 1.8 with no diff either )

I found even setting the RAM at optimum on the board ( which then sets the RAM at a poo Cas 3.0 ) made no difference to stability . I havent tried 3D Mark 03 at that RAM setting tho .

What I will do next is look at SiSoft Sandra`s RAM bandwidth figures at the higher OC . If they are lower , then it`s the RAM being pushed too much. If they are the same , then it`s not the RAM .

Why do I have a lower multiplier with a higher FSB and not the other way around ?

Well I found that trying 10.5 didnt gain me much extra Mhz despite higher voltages , and I want to make my RAM work for it`s money

I`ve also wanted to see what the RAM is capable of . I`ve found whatever 3dMark 03 can take , means that Battlefield 1942 , my main game , can take too and be stable . Sure I can push my sys more but it flakes out during gameplay.

I`ll try those investigations and let u know how I get on.

Cheers !

Gerry

Comment

Hi all ,

Hmm well in reply I hadnt changed my RAM settings . Just tweaked the voltage a bit more, and now have a 3D mark score again of 1813, with a slightly higher overclock !!

lol dont think my RAM will go above 430mhz, also temps a bit high , 51c norm 54c load, so will stick here I think..

Ciao ,

Gerry

Comment

Working...
            X