No announcement yet.

XP2100+ on A7V266-E - running hot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiggo: Just another thought. If you look at the pics of my system, you'll see that the exhaust fan is very close to the HSF. Will this cause problems (robbing my HSF of air) ? Will the side-intake mitigate this issue ?

Should I be placing it over the AGP, overlapping both sides, or more towards the pci cards ?

Thanks again,
    Greg.

Comment

Your side fan should be directly over ya PCI cards and no higher than to AGP card. the rear exhaust will be fine and won't hurt the CPU's HSF. The balance should be fine which is why the 2 different size fans. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Okay - did things the 'easy way' first. Using cardboard, placed a fan just below the AGP slot, and about 3 inches in from the back.... have the fan blowing in and down.

Case temps have dropped from 26-> 24, and proc temps are @ 44 from 42 (open case). Should the intake be blowing in a different direction ?

Also - would it be possible to add my 'blowhole' on the back side-panel at the top instead of directly on top of the case ? Just *much* easier than yanking the system apart to start drilling/cutting ?

/G

Comment

Never mind - just checked out the other panel - and found that the cross bar for the motherboard tray is in the way.

There's a *bit* of extra air in the case right now (open up a 5.25" bay slot, and I can feel a slight breeze coming out). Wouldn't a blowhole on top create a negative pressure ?

Is there any fine way of balancing case air ? Measuring in/outflow ?

Comment

A blowhole doesn't need a fan in it as you have discovered with those bays open and those temp are good now. :thumb:

Comment

Wiggo: 44C idling and 53C maxing out with CPUBURN are okay temps for the XP2100 ? Still haven't put AS3 on (but got it tonight).

Thanks again for all your help.

Greg.

Comment

Well they are at least safe. ;)

A bit more playin' around and you'll have good ones. :D

Comment

Slowly but surely !

Just applied AS3. Not sure if I put enough on - it was a 'thin layer' - but we'll see. Now the waiting game. How long usually before you see the drop associated with the AS3 "curing" ?

Comment

I usually find that I get a 1-2C drop happenin' about 48-72hrs later. ;)

Comment

Was seeing 44C last night on the CPU. Same temp as I was getting with my Titan Silver Thermal Grease . Did I not use enough AS3, or is this expected during the break-in period ?

(Sorry - I'm an AS3 n00bie)

:?:

Greg.

Comment

Believe me, a little goes a long way when squashed between the core and the HSF but you can take it off and check the coverage and the redo the job again so to refit the HSF. :devil:

Comment

I put a *little* pressure on the HSF when I was installing the clip (which BTW, is MUCH better than the retail HSF clip) on the Volcano 7+. Is this enough, or do you typically push straight down to ensure proper coverage ?

Ran the machine last night for about 90 minutes, and then decided to turn it off (cardboard side with the fan, etc :) ). Powered up this morning, and saw an immediate 1C drop to 43C. It's still not great compared to other temps I've seen here, but am I right in understanding the XP2100+ runs hot ?

Of course, I've seen at least one post where someone has their XP2100+ MAXING at 41 :

I want cooler temps ! :bounce2:

Comment

The pressure applied by just the clip itself will ooze AS3 all over. ;)

Want Lower Temps? Don't we all? :D

Comment

I'll leave the AS3 on for a day or so, and see how it behaves. When I pull the HSF off, what should I be seeing to indicate that I have put 'enough' on ?

:hammer:

Comment

Ya should just see the remains of a full coatin' and areas that didn't get covered won't be discoloured by the paste. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X