Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP2100+ on A7V266-E - running hot ?

Hi Folks,

First time poster - so please be kind :)

Just upgraded from an XP1600+ to a XP2100+ and temperatures are jumped quite a bit.

Was seeing ~ 51C-53C idle with the XP1600+ and a Volcano 6CU. Am now seeing 61C-63C with the XP2100+ / retail HSF with thermal tape.

I've read (but have yet to find definitive info) that the ASUS boards read 'hot' - but how hot ? I moved the XP1600+/Volcano to an ECS board and it's currently idling @ ~ 43C.

Are these temps reasonable ? Any guides to what ASUS is reading (+X degrees C) ? System reaches 68-70 under load - but has never been unstable.

TIA,
    Greg.

As a start you might want to dump the thermal tape and go for a quality thermal paste, just don't put too much on, a paper thin layer is all you need.

You might also want to consider getting a better HSF, especially if you intend to overclock.

Good luck :thumb:

Andy
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I used to have that same mobo (before the psu had an fit and killed it) and the temps it told me always seemed a little high. but those temps are too high. generally speaking, mobo temp sensors can be off as much as 30 C. Like the previous post said, get rid of the tape and that hsf. get some artic silver 3 and a decent hsf for $20-30 to get those temps down. i have a 2100+ in a ASUS A7N8X now and get temps from 37 - 42 C so I doubt this one is reading hot...my temps are lower now than they were when i had a 1500+ (which is at least partially due to the way i now apply my thermal gunk). so with my past experiences with the same mmobo, i would say that you are running too hot. you may want to invest a little money in some termal senors to see what the real temps are under the hood.

Comment

I've seen Asus boards read anywhere from 5C less to as much as 15C over though the greater majority read in the 5C to 10C over range. Those retail HSF's arn't worth it but do the temps drop if ya open the case up while running? :?:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'll try and apply some Thermal paste today - sitting at 24C/57C for case/cpu right now. I've seen lots of recommendations for the newer TT/Volcano HSFs - If I'm not overclocking - what would be the 'wise' choise ? Looking for something that will provide decent cooling and not a lot of extra noise.

Thanks again,
          Greg.

Comment

[b]Looking for something that will provide decent cooling and not a lot of extra noise.
            The Volcano 7+ will do fine for that as usually only Medium fan sped is needed but at times only Low will be needed and at both those speeds is quiet. But the best HSF in the world won't help if ya have poor case airflow. ;)

Comment

I *think* airflow is decent... Enermax EG365P-VE (Is 350 watt reasonable for this system) is variable system controlled, and I'm running 2 x 80mm fans (in the front, and out the back.

Any suggestions to determine if airflow isn't what it should be ?

Greg.

Comment

Open the case up while it's runnin' and if the temps drop then the airflow isn't right (mine get a couple of degrees hotter with the case open so airflow is good). ;)

Comment

Yanked the sides off, and case crept up to 30C from 27/28C. Anyone have a good guide to 'proper airflow' ? I find myself second guessing whether airflow actually bringing colder air to the HSF.

If case temp is 27C, what's a reasonable expectation for my XP2100+ with a decent HSF (Volcano 7+) ?

Thanks for all your help,
                  Greg.

Comment

if the temp went up after you took off the side panel, then air flow is not your problem....the problem probably resides with how the thermal goop was applied or the hs itself...is there anything blocking the imediate air flow around the hsf?

Comment

Nothing visibly obstructing airflow around the HSF... I actually pulled the retail unit off, scraped the thermal tape off and cleaned with rubbing alcohol (good or bad here folks?), and applied some 'Titan Silver Oxide' paste. Just a 'dab' in the middle and let the HSF spread it out. Might go pick up a TT Volcano 7+ tomorrow and some AS3.

Was still idling around 60-61, but load with CPUBURN hit 78C - ouch ! I'm noticing that my cpu fan only kicks into high gear (this is the retail fan, remember) when load gets high.. any way to set this a little higher during normal activity ?

Greg.

Comment

Okay - changed the orientation of the incoming fan, and moved a few cables around. According the hmonitor, case/cpu were sitting at 27/61-63C. After removing the side of my case (Thanks Wiggo), I'm seeing 27/58C.

What's the next step here ? How do I determine how to best 'route' the airflow ? Would a pic of the case/system help ?

Thanks again,
                        Greg.

Comment

Yes a pic of in inside and fan locations would be great and if ya case temp is 27C then the 7+ should have ya in the mid 40's. ;)

Comment

Here's the overall case view. 80mm fans are TT8025As. Air direction on front fan is "in and up", with the rear fan sucking out. Enermax PSU has rear exhaust, and lower intake.

Comment

I find myself wondering if the air is making it past the AGP vid.card up to the processor ? Here's a pic from the bottom of the case - where the front-inward fan lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X