i7 in UD5 VERY HOT! 100C! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 in UD5 VERY HOT! 100C! HELP!

So, I got my new comp and figured everything was fine, so I didnt bother looking at temps until I tried OCing it.

Idles at 70-80C. Normal settings for 3.6 OC, V core 1.3 (only voltage I changed, tried with 1.2, still same temps), 180X20 (it wont boot with 18X200-voltage failure instantly and goes back to stock, even with 1.375 V core), 8-8-8-24 for ram, turned off power saving functions, set fans full throttle. Turbo off, HT on, and a few other settings adjusted. Haven't even tried running anything at this temp because I'm it might explode.

Even under stock BIOS, it idles around 40 to 60C. Ambient tempature 22C, all fans work. 120mm fan right blowing on CPU cooler, exit fan blowing out right behind cooler, fan blowing in at front. Cyberpower XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan, which people said they have had good success with. Its not the nicest one, but should be fine for a little OC or standard BIOS settings.

Tried Prime95 on stock and hit temps of 100C in three seconds, MB made all sorts of noise....I freaked, I'm not touching the thing until this is fixed.

I dont want to send this back and would hope I could fix this soon by myself without destroying it any more.

Full specs,

i7-920 with d0 stepping 5
    UD5 MB
    Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower
    The fans previously mentioned
    700W PS with SLI/Crossfire capability
    Last edited by togabear; 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM.

Re: i7 in UD5 VERY HOT! 100C! HELP!

It sounds like the Heat sink is not mounted correctly. I would Completely remove the CPU heatsink and make sure there is enough thermal Paste and then remount it. If that doesnt work, I would be then paying closer attention to the Heatsink. I cant even find a picture of it on Google. So I cant see what it is. Perhaps Go with the Number 1 CI7 Cooler NH-U12P SE1366 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608007
    Last edited by NimrodAUS; 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

First i7 I worked with kept getting hot and shutting the system off by the time you could log in. It turned out to be that the heatsink wasn't seated all the way down. After resetting it about 4 times, I finally pulled the motherboard bay out so I could see underneath the MB when seating the heatsink/fan (stock Intel heatsink/fan). I finally decided to push harder and I could finally hear and see it 'click' in. This could be a similar type situation.

When you go to seat the heatsink, first use only a small amount of thermal paste, a drop about the size of a grain of rice. Next, make sure you turn the knobs in the right direction (clockwise). Third, position the heatsink over the processor and line up the posts to the holes. Now put your thumbs on two diagonal corner posts and push down. You'll have to push relatively hard to get them to click into place. After those two go in, then do the other two. After that, grab the heatsink assembly and try wiggling it. It should be tight and not move at all.

I personally feel it's a crappy design for seating a heatsink on a processor with such strict tolerances. There's no spring loading of the heatsink and I think there should be, like the older ones.

Anyway, give that a try. Hope it helps.

Comment

For anyone with simular problems. I pulled heat sink off, as I figured that was the issue. There was soooooo much TIM, it was caked on cpu, cpu holder, heat sink, and MB. If you order from Cyberpower, check this. Cleaned it all off with isopropanol. Also checked processor. The jerks bent a pin on the MB while installing it-amatuer hour at Cyberpower. I bent it back, but it was contacting two other pins, which I assume is very bad. Idels at 45 to 50, and at load with 3.4 OC it goes to 70 to 75, which I heard is normal for the i7 if you dont have amazing heatsink. That will be my next purchase.

All is well now, thank you for your input guys!

If you order from cyberpower, check their work. It was actually cheaper to order a complete rig from them than building it myself, so I dont regret it, but just check!

Comment

Well Im glad you got it all sorted. Sounds Pretty dodgy what they did to your system man. You Should ring them up and at least tell them what they did.
          Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
          Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
          Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
          G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
          2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
          Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
          2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
          Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
          Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
          ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
          Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
          NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
          1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
          Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Working...
          X