Simple Fan addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Fan addition

I have a computer case that gets to hot. I THINK it's the video card and not other parts because it has been blanking out the past couple months after i installed the card when i play high level games.

Basically i have a window fan on the side of my computer with the side panel off. It's really embarrasing but it does the job.

So what do i do? I see lots of fans on newegg.com and stuff, but i don't know how to install or anything.

Re: Simple Fan addition

Fans either snap into place within a case or are held in with simple metal screws. From there it is a simple matter to make sure it has power.

Of course, even though the installation of a fan is easy, you will also need to consider things like "does my case have fan mounts already in place" or if not then "how do I want to modify my case to accommodate the new fan(s)". Cooling is a straightforward concept but the fans need to be installed in the right place for you to maximize the cooling potential they offer.

As a rule you want cool air coming in from low front part of the enclosure and exhausting toward the upper rear areas. This allows heat's natural rising to get the hotter air to the exhaust fans and out of your system. You will also need to consider cable clutter and airflow. If you start boring holes in the side of the case without thought to the airflow that is already present, odds are good you will hinder the flow pattern and cause areas of turbulence... not good for overall cooling.

I can't help out much more without knowing what type of case you have or what cooling you already have in place, but the general rules noted above are good and offer solid cooling for a majority of the enclosures being used.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Well, I think i have to start boring into my case. Here are some pictures of my setup.

O, and don't laugh.

Comment

1- Get a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and a can of compressed air and clean the dust out of the entire machine. Pay special attention to all heatsinks since it is highly likely you have an excess buildup of dust and gunk in the fins. This will greatly reduce the cooling ability of the heatsink. You should do this regularly if you are going to continue using that window fan unit since it has no filter system in place and all teh dust in your home will end up in your box.

2- I can't tell for sure from the angle of your photo, but is there a fan on the heatpipe cooler of your video card? Since this is where you feel the problem lies, this is a good place to start. Aftermarket coolers are not generally very expensive so a better cooler may be in order.

3- Try to reduce your cable clutter. All those cables hanging out into the open airways isn't giving your enclosure a solid path for the air to flow through. Airflow is important since it keeps cooler air circulating over the hot components. Even the world best heatsink can't do much good if it only has hot air passing over it. The cooler air helps dissipate heat.

4- That case doesn't have a lot going for it. Not only does it look to be an OEM type enclosure, the smaller size doesn't give you a lot of room to modify. Maybe a intake fan on the side panel (over the video card/CPU area is best) and an exhaust on the roof would be about the extent of your play room.
        My Toys

Comment

the other thing you can do - is remove as much metal as possible where your fans can go - dremels work well for this, it'll improve your airflow by around 50%
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Darthtanion,

1. I do constantly clean up the inside of my case with everything from a vacuum to tweezers from inside the fans!

2. Yes there is a fan, it is a BFG model 6800GT OC, so it came designed to cool itself. I don't think i'm going to add a fan to that.

3. I will work on fixing the wires.

4. Intake Fan and Exhaust... YES that's what i need. Can you spot me over to some items at newegg.com that i would need. Would any fans work? Do they come with an installation kit to be mounted on the case?

Actuall, i saw that there are case fans on the site, so i'll look through them.

What do you guys think of the PCI fan slots?

This one claims to push 60CFM's but takes up two PCI spots, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119066

And this one pushes 84.1 CFM and is a case fan, but is loud,

Or this one which is a little cheaper but quieter and 63 CFM's case fan

Lastly, would i need another piece, or just one of these should do the job?
            Last edited by CColtManM; 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Any of the standard cooling fans made for computers will suffice. The higher the fan speed the higher the airflow it produces... AND the more noise it creates. You'll have to decide what works best for your needs. Since you are having issues, I would probably go with either a 90mm or 120mm fan. Unless you already have a window built into the side panel, you will be ebst served with non-LED type fans. You'll also want a dremel tool as Kheldar mentioned above. This will allow you to cut your holes in the top and side panel for the fan to mount to. I would also recommend some sort of filter material since this will help keep a lot of the dust and dirt from inside your case. They will need cleaning from time to time, but I like the ability to keep the dirt on the outside of my systems. As far as mounting the fans, you will need to drill four holes that match up with the holes on the fan. Either small nuts and bolts or plastic push pins will work for this and give you a stable platform for the fan to work from.
              My Toys

Comment

Looks to me like you already have an unused mounting area for an exhaust fan at the back of your case (the circular hole pattern above the video card). There may also be a spot in front of the hard drives designed for intake.
                Last edited by PrairieDawg; 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM.
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

the PCI fan slots work fairly well but you lose the PCI spot.

tiding the cables up will make a hugh difference - go get some rounded ide cables

Any fan will work, i've even pulled fans out of old powersupplies and jerry rigged them up

Comment

Do i need an intake if i am going to be exhausting out the back?

Comment

only if your case is airtight

Comment

I'm sure it's not. ah I see your point. No, there is a vent in the front.

Comment

Alright, i'll try to post a picture later on tonight, but i went ahead and installed a fan into the back of my case. I also dremmeled out the hole to provide the least resistance when exhaling the hot air. We'll see how that goes.

If this doesn't work, then i need to go to the next step. What do you guys recommend as far as narrowing down which piece of the computer is getting hot? Maybe it isn't my Video Card, and it's something else. Where should i go to see what the good tempratures are and what everything should be at?

Comment

Cut a nice big hole in the bottom of that case for a 120MM fan. Then cut a nice big hole in the top of that case for a 80MM fan. Then cut a nice big hole in front of that case for another 120MM fan. Problem solved.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate
                            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

hahaha YES! That's a lot of cutting. I do have the one in the back, so i want to see how that goes, so far so good. I do plan on putting on in the front in the next month or so, i'll keep you updated. My video card... when i play games... hovers around 80*C. Is that too high? And, should the processor, motherboard, and video card, all i should be concerned about as far as overheating and causing my PC to crash?

Comment

Working...
                              X