Computer Outside In Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Outside In Winter?

would it be bad to put my computer outside in winter to keep it really cold. or if i put it in the freezer
    my comp
    AM2 x2 4800
    700watt gamer xstream
    2 gigs corsiar
    sli 7950gtx2s
    3d mark05 score: 13989
    3d mark06: 9k

Re: Computer Outside In Winter?

Putting a computer in sub zero air will create condensation on the parts that are warming than the ambeint temperture, meaning almost everything. Condensation equals water which means dont do it. Its the same reason that when you use a peltier to cool your CPU below zero you have to insulate it to make sure it doesnt get condensation.

Comment

One word... CONDENSATION

Anytime you have incredidly cold temperatures and add heated items (such as computer components), you will have to address condensation. Moisture and electronic components don't get along real well, so if you don't plan for it you will likely kill your machine.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

It is best you just stick with your normal cooling options. If you are that desperate for good cooling take the side off and throw a big fan next to it. (Although if a case is properly cooled this may actually hurt your temps) But otherwise, as already stated, condensation will whip your ass.

But if you want a $1500 boat anchor, feel free to set your PC outside in the winter ;)

Comment

or you could get a case, I forgot the name, but it blows cold air into the case, its kinda like a fridge.
          you could build your comp in a mini fridge, not a freezer. It would be really hard tho. I guess you could put it outside if the temps in your area dont get below 5F or so.
          Last edited by buhweet; 11-13-2006, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buhweet
            or you could get a case, I forgot the name, but it blows cold air into the case, its kinda like a fridge.
            you could build your comp in a mini fridge, not a freezer. It would be really hard tho. I guess you could put it outside if the temps in your area dont get below 5F or so.
            When you really not sure about what you're talking about the best solution is not to but I think that you better Google "Phase Change Cooling" as that's what I'm thinking that you're trying to get at.

Comment

Building a computer in a mini fridge is as stupid as putting it outside. STILL going to have condensation. Having something putting off 40C of heat in an environment that is 10C is going to create condensation.

Comment

Watercooling is key!

Personally, i would try to watercool my pc, then, i would route the radiator outside in the winter. The PC will stay inside, but then again, is there winter here in the Tropics?

Comment

Using a mini fridge is not out of the question, as it has been done by me and a friend off an awe-inspiring ordeal during winter. Our heater went out in the middle of winter, so our house got really cold...around 40-45 degrees at night. The improvement in performance with the 9 fans i had in my computer was amazing. I was benchmarking better than I ever had before. So after much research, my friend and I decided to construct our own version of what could work. We had to modify his mini fridge (which he still keeps stuff in) and case to do this. We simply stuck a usb driven vaccum (that has the blow option as well) onto the end of a hose, and ported a hole in the side of the fridge. We stuck the vaccum in the fridge, and fed the hose and usb cable in. Then we turned the fridge to the warmest setting so it wouldnt create condensation. We then fed the tube into the case through the PCI slot all the way to the front, positioned upward as to not let any possible water that may have formed to not create a fish tank. This dropped the temp to a perfect level, and we just let the fans do the rest of the work. It was a fun project, and actually worked pretty well. Its always funny to see a hose going from a fridge to a computer!

Comment

Working...
                  X