• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sli 7900gt's need better air cooling...help me out plz

whats the best air cooling for it? less space it takes, the better

thanks

Re: sli 7900gt's need better air cooling...help me out plz

How much room do you have between them, because the Artic Silencer can be modded to fit a 7900. And for the future, dont make two threads.

Comment

Threads merged. Please don't do it again. Thanks!

Comment

As for single slot cooling solutions, I can't think of any good ones at the moment.

Comment

beh, come on guys, help me out, ive been all over newegg.com, cant find any good ones, ata ll, at least single slot coolers, all i find is liquid cooling, dont wanna go liquid nono, too much money

thanks guys, and sorry for teh double post, didnt mean to, b/c when i posted the first one it didnt show up, guess server error

Comment

There are no single slot solutions that are better than stock cooling. You either run stock cooling or get either the Arctic Silencer or maybe even the Accelero. Are you looking for silence or overclockability?
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
              There are no single slot solutions that are better than stock cooling. You either run stock cooling or get either the Arctic Silencer or maybe even the Accelero. Are you looking for silence or overclockability?

not looking to overclock nor silence, just better cooling. the card run around 49-51c idle, and around 55-58c active. heard these 7900's start to act-up in high temperatures (artifacts, lines across the monitor, freeze). just wanted to take precaution. maybe i should go water cooling, b/c after all ive spent around 500$ on these puppies, why not protect my investment eh?

thansk guys

Comment

55-58c is not a high temperatures range. Even more sensitive cards can get a lot higher than that without artifacts.

Comment

I think having a fan blowing over the power regulator section of those cards is more important than any other place. The stock coolers are lacking, but they are good enough if you are not running overclocked. Also, case airflow may be hurting. Water cooling is good, just alot of extra work to get started. Once it is all installed it is painless. Just be certain to stay away from cheap parts. Almost all kits are useless junk too. Building a very good water loop is usually the same price and sometimes cheaper than the inefficient kits. In fact, Swiftech is about the ONLY company with any good kits, but they are also pricey.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

if i should go water-cooling, what good company should i order it from?

Comment

As casecutter said, Swiftech is just about the only manufacturer of decent, all inclusive, kits.

But for putting a watercooling system together, frozencpu.com has everything you'll need. You may be able to find some parts cheaper if you shop around...but the extra shipping charges may negate the lower costs.

You'll want to go with 1/2" tubing, a dual 120mm radiator(minimum), and a pump that flows over 300GPH. I've got the Apogee CPU/GPU blocks, they are hard to beat for the price.

Comment

Ati came out recently with a universal cooler that got a kick-ass award from maxpc, it is only 30$ too! I will notify you when the name comes to mind.(i forgot it.) You might not need the water cooler with them unless you want to spend more $.

Comment

I have a slightly older Koolance Exos and I'm perfectly happy with it. Still I realize that the Exos II and Koolance newer products are pricy. Alternatively, I might suggest a Thermaltake Bigwater. The price isn't too bad.

But First, I would just try to modify your case for better cooling. I use slot coolers to help keep my heat build up down. You might also think about mounting a Blower and directing it at your cards. Just make sure you have good air intake, or leave the side of the case off. (oh and clean that puppy out regularly as well )

Comment

Originally posted by altangerel20
                            not looking to overclock nor silence, just better cooling. the card run around 49-51c idle, and around 55-58c active. heard these 7900's start to act-up in high temperatures (artifacts, lines across the monitor, freeze). just wanted to take precaution. maybe i should go water cooling, b/c after all ive spent around 500$ on these puppies, why not protect my investment eh?

thansk guys

55-58c is screaming hot...go water dude,my 7900gtx idles 39-load after 8 hours bf2 48 tops.7900gts been known to complety fail due to these temps.'

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=14

"A few 7900GT users have reported that on back side of 7900GTs 2 components are getting boiling hot and they believe this is related to memory voltage regulators. They can reach boiling point like temps. Putting a heatsink on them helps alot apparently.

But this could explain 7900GTs working on day 1 etc and later developing the problems with needing to lower memory clock speed, due to tearing/artifacting and freezes in apps. Maybe the voltage regular dies and doesn't give memory chips the voltage it needs to run at particular speeds ?"

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=4

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=14324

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1052934

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=14324

........There have also been many issues with the 7900GT, paticularly EVGA 7900GTs. I had my 7900GT KO for 3 days before it started crapping out.....lock ups in games, really nasty artifacts, and flickering monitor then "no signal" message. I RMAd the card, and am waiting for a replacement.....but Ive read people going through several RMAs before getting a working card which really worries me <!-- --><!-- -->

<!-- -->

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=101974

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=223715

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...39#post1261339

go water dude...
                            Stacker830 Watercooled
                            windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                            Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                            8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                            Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                            13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                            (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                            biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                            xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                            sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                            co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                            Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                            Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

if i may recommend a good cooler for the 7900gt, try the zalman cooler for it....i love it!!!...i was getting 48c-49c on idle now im getting between 36c-38c on idle and nevers goes above the old idle temp under load...

Comment

Working...
                              X