Intel D955 mobo
    2gb ddr2
    raid 1
    6600gt 256mb

My question is my temps are...
    Processor 40 Idle 58 load
    Zone 1 34
    Zone 2 27

Are these temps ok, or should i try another method of cooling?
    Thanks in advance :)

Re: Pentium D Temps

The load is a little higher than I prefer, but it could be worse, especially with a Prescott. I don't know how good your airflow is, but it's likely that it's not good enough.

Comment

Thankyou for such a quick response...

I currently have a 120mm fan intake
      a 120mm fan exhaust
      and a 80mm fan blowhole.

The power supply is a plug n power, and that also has a 120mm fan.

i aslo use AS5. any other ideas would be great.
      What would be the temps i should look to aim for?

Thanks again :)

Comment

That's probably enough airflow. AS5 is good, too, though it's quite possible that you did a bad job applying it.

Personally, I like my load temps in the low 50s or even in the 40s, but high 50s isn't all that bad for a Prescott. As long as it doesn't throttle back or crash, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comment

Judging by your case temps, you probably shouldn't expect any better than that from a Prescott (D) unless you've got an aftermarket cooler on it.

Comment

Thanks for all your input.
            I have read that AS5 needs time to "settle in", is this true? and if so how long and what sort of drop in temp should i expect?
            If the CPU is throttling back how do i tell?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne76
              I have read that AS5 needs time to "settle in", is this true? and if so how long and what sort of drop in temp should i expect?
              If the CPU is throttling back how do i tell?
              Yes; about two weeks. Don't leave it on 24/7 or anything near it during that time. Only a few degrees, and it's really hard to tell unless you have constant ambient temperatures, which is rarely the case.

You cant tell if the CPU throttles by using pretty much any software program that tells you your CPU speed, as long as it updates in real-time. SiSoft SANDRA, CPU-Z, AIDA32, Intel's utility, and a number of utilities that come with certain motherboards should all work (though I'm not positive on all of them). Your Prescott won't be throttling if it's only at 50c.

Comment

Thanks for all your replys.
                AS5... Apply a small blob? Or apply the same blob, and spread with credit card? I have read up and people are 50/50 on this subject. The AS5 website does say apply about a rice grain amount, and not to spread.
                What do you guys think? and have you had any experiences with either method?

Comment

The method of applications depends on the processor size, which might explain why people are 50/50 on the subject. My suggestion is you follow the instructions on the web site to the letter. They've worked quite well for me.

Comment

I decided to get a new case, the Thermaltake Armour. here is a pic of it.
                    Do you think ducting could help my cause?

I will try the other method of applying the paste next time i re-seat the cpu, i will let you know what changes if anything.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

If I'm reading that right, and the CPU temp is 41c, then you really don't need ducting. Ducting is almost always the best method of air cooling, but it's really not necessary, in this case.

Comment

Ok thanks, yes your right, my idle temps are around the 40 mark, and on 100% load there about 53-57
                        So you recon this is ok for a dual core?
                        Thanks for your quick replies.
                        Wayne

Comment

For a Pentium D, it's probably acceptable. I wouldn't be happy if it were an Athlon 64 X2, but modern Intel processors run much hotter and are capable of doing so without problems.

Comment

They are about normal for Pentium D's unfortunately...they are hot cpu's and this is one of the reasons Intel gave up the Megahertz race. The processor will throttle itself back (either by lowering the clock speed or by turning itself off in between clocks) to protect itself if the temp gets to around 72c....not ideal but necessary....

remember when the summer comes and the room temps go up...so will the processor temp.

Comment

Working...
                            X