first off,lm not overclocking
    looking for good cooling and quiet
    please vote and if you want to comment,please do so
    cheers
    yes
    53.85%
    no
    46.15%
    Last edited by kelticknight; 08-18-2005, 06:41 AM.

Re: water cooling system poll

I was initially looking at one of these, but it's too bulky. You have to carry the external reserator everywhere, and most reviews state it gives minimally better cooling than aggressive air cooling.

My 2 cents anyway.

Comment

Most folks already know my opinion on these cheesey one-piece wonder kits; they generally suck. Granted, I DO overclock, but I still prefer performance over the half hearted attempt that this type of cooling solution provides.

So I would agree with the post above simply because I haven't found one of the one piece wonders that has worked good yet; and before you ask, yes I have tested several. Not this Zalman, but a quick peek at the manufacturers data specs doesn't show me anything that would lead me to believe it performs any better than the others I have worked with.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

water cool is so complicated it might brings you problems like leaking, and also water cool is too expensive

Comment

Originally posted by becundo
          water cool is so complicated it might brings you problems like leaking, and also water cool is too expensive
          Complicated? Not hardly. Won't bring you problems when done properly. Watercooling isn't too god awful expensive either, if you've got a system that you can take full advantage of the extra cooling with. I recommend setting up your own system using the Hydor L20 as a good, quiet pump. I am not positive what the best blocks and radiators are anymore though.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting the Reserator. But not for improved cooling. Its the Quiet aspect that interests me. So long as it does a good enough job cooling. If it does as well as agressive air cooling then thats good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              Most folks already know my opinion on these cheesey one-piece wonder kits; they generally suck. Granted, I DO overclock, but I still prefer performance over the half hearted attempt that this type of cooling solution provides.

...I haven't found one of the one piece wonders that has worked good yet; and before you ask, yes I have tested several. Not this Zalman...
              So, never having used this product you feel qualified to classify it as "cheesy" and "half-hearted"?

The Reserator, along with most of the other Zalman products, is specifically pitched to folks interested in silence, not bleeding-edge performance.

The fairest criteria to judge it by would be "Does it keep my processor relatively cool AND is it silent?"
              It would also be fair to ask "What exactly are you cooling?"
              After all, dealing with a Prescott is a whole 'nother ballgame than cooling a Winchester.

I have used a Reserator (not the revised, new version) and it kept my 3500 Winnie (@2.53GHz) well within reasonable temps...typically 10c or so over the previously installed high end air cooling.
              For all intents and purposes it is inaudible.
              After my two week run it was installed on our shop's demo machine where it ran happily, 24/7, for the next three months till it was sold.
              Granted, this is not an exhaustive test (but longer than most of the web reviews, I'll bet), but still, I would hardly call the Reserator's performance orconstruction "cheesy".

My two cases are a CM Stacker and a Silverstone TJ-06, so portability is not a priority to me anyway...the extra bulk/complexity of the Zalman was a total non-issue.
              It was nice that the Reserator requires absolutely no case mods to install.

The forum at Silent PC Review has a lot of information regarding this product...it's worth checking out.

Comment

Considering that I am very comfortable with water cooling and that I do research manufacturers specifications about their products, yes I do feel I am qualified to issue an opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with it, so you might get off your high horse for a while.

Besides, I am the type that does a job right, not half-way. If your own views are different, so be it.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

My horse and I both agree that you are entitled to any opinion you like...even opinions based on "quick peeks at the manufacturer's data specs" and not personal experience.

I too am comfortable with water cooling, comfortable enough in fact to realize that sometimes a nice, quiet solution trumps one built to scream.
                  My experience with the new 90nm AMDs (two Winchesters and one San Diego) shows me that they require very little in the way of hardcore cooling...even the stock AMD HSF would keep them under 40c while Priming.
                  The 6800 series nVidia cards on the other hand are little supernovas and I have yet to find a really good solution for them.

But I digress.
                  Trigger and I would both recommend the Reserator for the person who wants to balance performance with silence...a difficult tightrope to walk, but one the Zalman manages with aplomb.
                  I am seriously considering getting one of the new "plus" versions for my home PC and leaving the more extreme solutions for shop projects.

Comment

I'm thinking dump the premade kits and make your own with the Hydor L20 as I earlier said in this thread.

Comment

ok,have read reviews,checked silent pc and forums and forums in zalman and other sites,it not for overclockers which lm not,quiet it is,which lm for
                      the only problem is the pump can go after 9 months if you dont have additives in distilled water as distilled water will wear out the pump like anyother pump,it recommened to check the fittings at base of reserator as some dont have enought tape and are not tight enough,you can go ocerclocking if you fit a external pump,and would get more extreme temps like other have moded,but for me
                      first quiet,so my wife dont loose it with me over noise[big plus]
                      second,cooling ,getting good temps without overclocking
                      so lm ording it ,will have next week
                      it good kit if you never used water cooling kit before
                      cheers everyone for you input

Comment

Working...
                      X