Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quieter than a mouse (the mortal kind not the plastic kind :p)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quieter than a mouse (the mortal kind not the plastic kind :p)

hey everyone i was thinking of making a new rig and something that always bothered me about my current one came to mind.

i hate the sound of fans.

i mean after a while you get sorta used to it but if my mind ever wanders i always focus in on the sound of those darn fans! so heres my question.

I would like to build a completely silent PC.. is it doable? is it practical? can it be done at a somewhat reasonable cost? what are the pros and cons to it? can anyone lend me some advice? do you know any parts that are currently available that would be good?

i am from america so please make prices in american dollars where possible.

thank you very much for your assistance!

Re: Quieter than a mouse (the mortal kind not the plastic kind :p)

IF fans bother you that much you may want to look into a watercooling setup, but IMO that would be a waste unless overclocking. There are many components tht are made with silent operation in mind.

After a quick google search this is what I found and it should help you out.

Read that and you will get more of an understanding of it and then when you plan to actually build your PC you can ask us for suggestions on the PC parts you ahev chosen.

Comment

kooldrew you rock man, thanks for the help.. ill take alook a tthat

Comment

worth a look 2

Comment

That case is just a total waste of money

Comment

Definately.

Comment

Watercooling is exactly what you are describing. You can get rid of any and all fans in your case if you wanted. Your radiator doesn't even need a fan if you use one or more of these.....
              http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...ex-rad-14.html
              http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...ex-rad-33.html

A few other companies also make similar passive radiators. I have not personally used one, but they are supposed to work pretty well.

Your hard drive would quite possibly be the loudest part of your CPU with a water cooled system.

If not, just use a rheobus and crank your fans all the way down when you aren't gaming.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...ml?id=4EcLUkYQ
              Last edited by matm347; 11-09-2004, 06:04 PM.

Comment

If you go with water cooling be sure to get a Hydor L20, or Eheim 1048/1052 pump. Most other ones make a annoying whining sound that you won't like.

Another fanless solution to water cooling is the Zalman Reserator.

You may also consider whisper quiet fans. I would personally recommend the Thermaltake Silentcat 8/9. The 80 mm remains at 21 dba while pushing 31 cfm, and the 90 mm runs also at 21 dba but pushes 52 cfm.
                Last edited by c0ntra; 11-19-2004, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X